Missing Aisle (Part 8)

The sword is lighter than you think, below three and a half pounds. I don't get why people would get tired of swinging this around. Wait, i need to focus. The blade clangs on the inside of the sheath as I pull it out. I can't hold it straight; my hands won't stop shaking.

My feet sink a bit into the sand. A sinkhole forms in the middle of the island. A pale bone hand that can wrap around my head bursts for below. Two more follow as the three skeleton gorillas rise with their weapons. The old street signs attach to large steel pipes, one a stop, the other a yield, and the one standing in front with a square sign saying, "Please return your carts." In the skulls are tiny yellow suns made of electricity. I didn't know gorillas had such sharp teeth, a fact I could have gone my whole life without knowing.

Two of the gorillas step back, letting the Shopping Cart walk towards me

Two of the gorillas step back, letting the Shopping Cart walk towards me. I hold my sword with both hands. I think the best option for me is to get in close and swing fast. It has a more extended reach than me, and all i have to do is cut it, maybe break it up. The only problem is my legs won't move.

The monster charges forward. Move legs, move! They won't as I stare the ape in the eyes. I can feel the electricity tickle the back of my neck the longer I stare. It towers over me, with its club held high. I need to move; I need my legs to MOVE!

Grains thrust in the air as my legs listen at the last second. My mouth fills with sand as my chest hits the ground. The sword is in front of me. I can't let it fly out of my hands like that. I crawl to it and grab it, but a shadow is cast over me. It's the Gorilla. He swings down again, but I jump out of the way.

Before I can run away, his bony fingers scratch my back. Fabric from my hoodie is in the air as I feel him tear my skin. I won't stop running. I know it's faster than me. With every passing second I run, it gets closer. My chest is heavy, my back is on fire, and sweat is dripping into my eyes. It stings, but I have to keep running. I make it off the sand and onto a flat chunk of parking lot.

In my peripheral, i can see the other two gorillas. They're not moving. I look over at them, and they just stare. Their eyes glow dimly. Yield's grip on their club is lost, with Stop not holding theirs. The guerrillas aren't even standing. They just sit on the ground with their shoulder slumped. They have no plan to help their friend.

The Gorilla chasing me leaps from the sand and lifts his club high. It smashes into asphalt, splintering the space. I stumble but keep a hold of my sword. I point the blade at the Gorilla. I need to make a move; I can't keep running.

His sigh is still down; I make my move. I swing, aiming at his head, but in a swift blur, the club rises and knocks my sword back. My stomach is exposed, so the gorilla steps forward and punches with its free hand. The air is rushed out of my lungs, and my bagel and egg from this morning return to the floor as a pile of mush.

I lose my grip on my sword. I still have a shot. With its guard down, I leap forward and grab the skull. I push my thumbs through both eye holes and press on the orb of flowing light. Streams of energy and lighting fire out as i press harder. The monster drops the club and grips my waist with both hands. He squeezes tight. I can feel my organs squish together. I yell as loud as I can as pain fills me, but I don't stop. I pressed down with what little left I had in me.

The energy stops, i feel nothing under my thumbs, and the Gorilla's grip weakens. My ears fill with the sound of the bones hitting the asphalt. I fall to the ground. I can't get up. My lungs struggle to keep air. I did it, though. I DID it. Once I rest, I can...

My joy is short-lived as I glance up from the ground. Both Stop and Yield are standing over me. Right, I forgot there was more to this island. The first island. They both lift their clubs and swi-