Missing Aisle (Part 12)

It's been four years since I started working with Margret at her White Castle. Four years of Dungeon runs in the Missing Aisle. I quit my previous job and started taking self-defense classes, sword fighting classes, which is just larping gym, and anything that can give me a competitive edge in the Dungeon run. I would purchase a new item from the Missing Aisle every month, hoping it would help.

It's hard balancing every aspect of my life. I feel that, at times, I sacrificed my person to attempt to free myself from debt and reclaim my stolen time. Instead, the debt has grown since then. Every time I make a payment, the amount increases as I need to get something new the further I get. Another piece of gear to clear a puzzle or to handle a new enemy.

Four years is a long time. Granted, I didn't make it this long on my own. Around two years in, I was on my lunch break while Margret visited the store. It was the day after a failed attempt in the Dungeon run. Even though the wounds are healed, phantom pain still sticks to my body.

I debated whether to put ketchup on my fries or make a small batch of mayo ketchup. I went with the latter and reached for a packet. My hand was shaking, and I could feel my shoulder strain. I thought I was hiding it well when Margret slid the packet closer to my hand.

MARGRET

I swear, sometimes forget I am 

the old one out of us two. 

You have more aches than I do.

I smile and grab the pack. She's right. Even though the wounds from the accident still leave their signature on her, she does an amazing job pushing through it. She has as much energy as any one of the employees here.

RYE

My workouts have been killing me lately.

Her eyes soften as I can feel her stare, analyzing my aches. She flips her fork around and pokes my shoulder with the butt of the plastic. My spine dances as the pain causes me to jolt.

MARGRET

Why are you pushing yourself so hard?

RYE

I have to. I'm in debt and have 

to get stronger to clear it.

MARGRET

Get stronger?

RYE

It's a lot to explain. I would explain it, 

but you wouldn't believe me.

MARGRET

Try me.

RYE

No, no, no. You will think 

I'm talking about D&D or some game 

and not taking it seriously. You could 

take it seriously and fire me because 

I would have to be crazy to believe 

what I believe.

She wipes her face with a napkin and sips her soda before talking.

MARGRET

Is this serious?

RYE

Yes.

MARGRET

Would you lie to me?

RYE

No.

MARGRET

Then I have no reason to doubt you.

She means it. No conflicting thoughts about it. At this moment, if I told her I poop roaches, she would believe me. Not that I would say that. With a wavering voice, I told her everything. My debt, the missing aisle, Kurt, Stop Sign, the squeeze ball. I let it vomit out.

She was quiet for a minute, then 5, then 30. She was debating stepping outside the known reality. Release herself from the cord and disconnect. I was forced there and didn't have a choice to sever that cord. I can't help but think how hard it must be to do so willingly. She finished her meal before talking again.