New Affair (Part 3)

ALY

Can I get some help, please?

Aly grabs a lime green tray on a glass counter. On it are pizza slices on top of paper plates. Each has two slices, one pepperoni, and the other sausage. She watches the teenage employee walk back to a group gathered in the back of the kitchen, talking to themselves.

ALY

Excuse me, this was supposed to be to-go.

A worker finally turns to Aly.

TEENAAGE PIZZA EMPLOYEE

That tray is yours.

ALY

But it was supposed to be to-go.

No one responds. Seconds away from losing her cool, Aly takes a deep breath and lets out an empathic

ALY

Cool,

Aly makes her way through the food court with the tray of pizza in one hand and a cup holder of three different coffees in the other. One frappe is so sweet you can feel the cavities forming on your molars from the first sip. There's a sizeable vanilla cream cold brew, probably more ice than coffee. Finally, a bitter black coffee with one packet of sugar.

She bobs and weaves through the shoppers, distracted by the signs and window displays instead of looking forward. There aren't many people in the mall, but they still find a way to almost crash into her. Aly can't help but think how people lose a sense of social awareness once they are walking. She walks past the video game store by the office when she hears a man's voice coming from inside.

UNKNOWN MAN

You know you're not supposed to 

carry that tray out of the food court.

Aly turns to see a man with slick back hair, skinny frame, and a black long-sleeved shirt stocking a game shelf.

ALY

They didn't give it to me to-go 

when I asked, so it's mine now.

UNKNOWN MAN