Light Years (Part 3)

He welcomed me with his glow and guided me through this world. My journey became ours. He was the only person who knew who I was and my life's mission. We became balanced, each having equal footing in each other's world.

     It became apparent then to both of us that this was only temporary. With every day passing, our time together waned. If I must leave, then I wanted to go with no regrets. On March fourth, we had our wedding at noon. Soon after, we discovered how biologically similar our species were when I made another selfish decision.

     I gave birth to my son, Avon. December third, at 4 am, on the second.

     When I first saw him, his light was blinding but radiated with a beauty that rivaled any star I've seen

     When I first saw him, his light was blinding but radiated with a beauty that rivaled any star I've seen. With the man I loved, and our child with me, the gaps of darkness closed in until they were gone. I breathed in the heat of these stars until it filled my lungs and singed my blood. I wanted to bask in the illumination for as long as I could.

     Years passed, the best years I have ever had. If the ship never came, even if it meant my planet's existence, I think I would be fine. Selfish, I know. Then the day finally came. November eleventh.

     I was told to go to the clearing where I landed. I treated the day like it was any other, afraid if I told him, it would become a reality. I got dressed and walked into my sons room. He was asleep already. Angel and I read to him like normal and he knocked out. Angel then should play games with his friends in the game room and I could sneak out without anyone noticing.

     Is this right? I should say something? My mind kept screaming that at me but I can't handle it. I am not that strong. If he told me to stay, I would. I would let my planet burn for these two. I would let the stars swallow the galaxy if it meant I could spend my life here.

     Angel was sitting in our living room. Looking out the window.

ANGEL

The skys clear tonight.

ANA

It...is.

     He holds up the bag that held the medicine. He holds it open, staring inside it. He knew what was happening, as clear as the tear rolling down his cheek.

ANGEL

It's not a long work trip, right?

     My throat closed. I couldn't speak. He starts chuckling to himself as he wipes his cheeks.

ANGEL

Remember when I told you that medicine expires? 

You were freaking out. Thats when I started to 

buy a new bottle every time it got close to expiring.

ANA

Y-yeah.

ANGEL

From what you told me, your planet's smart. 

Super smart. They will figure it out right away.

 As a reward, they should give you whatever you want.

     My vision started to go blurry. The tears forming blocked what i could see. I lowered my head, hoping he couldn't see me cry.

ANA

Y-yeah

ANGEL

You know what I want?

      I hear Angel get up from the couch and walk to me. Every step pounded on my chest. If he says it, I will. I swear I will leave it all just to say in that house.

ANGEL

I want you to promise me the second you drop 

this off, you make your way back to us.

     I broke, and the tears I held back came out full force. He wrapped his arms around me tight. I barely could speak as I gasped between tears. I had enough strength to say one sentence.

ANA

Every step I take will be to return to our life. 

I love you both so much.

      Now, I stand here in this clearing with you.

     The man I love knows why I must leave, that this was only temporary. I intend to return, but It will be a long time until I do. I have to do this alone, and he gets that. I don't worry about him, but I do for my little one. Will my light understand why I left? Will he forgive me when I return? Will I still be able to remember his radiance even when we are far apart? He sleeps in his bed, thinking his mother is in the other room.

NHU

Is that star moving?

ANA

It's them. You said if I spoke with you, you will take 

care of my family and keep them safe from other 

people who would want to learn more about me, right?

NHU

I swear on my life I will.

ANA

Ok, good. I'll hold you to that. When I 

get back I'll tell you all about this trip.

NHU

I look forward to it.

     A stream of light from above surrounds me, overpowering the moon's glow. I must leave, selfish but necessary. At this moment, my mission is complete, and my life ends. I check the time once more before I go.

     12:34.