chapter 22 | maybe he's just uninterested

Darryl POV
Velvet is here right next to me, kicking his legs like he's just saw the most amazing thing on earth. "What, what?" I asked curiously, taking off my earphones - we're currently seated on some benches out on school grounds. He just smiles, then shines his phone screen to me.

RealAnt
Yeah!! We should meet. :)

You
Where, Don't you live like hours away? Lmao

"I added the 'lmao' so it didn't come off rude." Velvet chuckles to himself. "How are you getting the guitarist to meet up with you?" I fiddle with the beads of my black beaded bracelet. "I guess we got close." He grins, "So.. are u dating anyone?" Velvet smirks.

I freeze.

I haven't told anyone about me and Zak being a couple; not even grandma, Harvey, or Vincent. "No." I simply respond, short and quick. Velvet nods - just for everything to go silent again.

"Whattchu listening to?" He holds an earbud. "We can both listen." I smile warmly, I give him the left earbud and I have the right one. We both hook it onto our ear in sync.

"Shit!! How do you listen to stuff like this?" Velvet rips the earbud out of his ear almost instantly. "What? It's death metal." I giggle. "All they're doing is yelling to a mic in a- scary deep voice." Velvet stammers. "Okay. What do you listen to then?"

"I-"

I cut him off, Taking off my headphones. "Actually, your the type of person to listen to pop and rock."

"True." He laughs. Our conversation gets interrupted by a loud notification coming from Velvets phone. "It's Ant." His eyes light up; I take a peek and view from on top of Velvets shoulder.

RealAnt
Olive Garden on Smith Drive? 6:00pm.

You
Sure will do

"That means u have 3 hours to get there and get ready." I speak up. "Isn't Smith Drive an hour and a half away by bus?" Velvet questions. "Yes! That's why you need to hurry up."

~~~

Zak POV

'Maybe he's just uninterested..' I ponder, I've been in my bed all day, liking fan edits and overthinking everything. "What am I thinking? Darryl likes me, he does.. doesn't he?" I talk to myself. "I wonder what he's doing now." I sigh to myself.

I roll onto my side and open my phone, I open my Phone app.

Darryl <3

I click on his name and the phone starts to ring.

"Hello.. Zak?" I hear his oh so sweet voice talk from the speaker. "Hi! I was wondering if- uhm, do you wanna cuddle and maybe watch a movie at mine?" I blush at the thought of it. "Sorry I can't." He responds. "Oh okay." I frown. "Maybe next time?." He suggests. "Okay, yeah." I bite my lip.

We both say our goodbyes and then I hang up.

He doesn't love me - but I still love him.

But she did.

And I loved her too.

~~~

Darryl POV

"Okay! You stay here." Velvet rushes; he's making me stand further away and watch him and Velvet through a window, I mumble a sign of assurance.

Velvet notices Ant, making his way inside of Olive Garden. Velvet then puts his hands on my shoulder and breathes into my face, "Ew! Dude. What was that for?!" I scrunch my eyebrows. "So it smells? I need a toothbrush!!" he scurries. "Your breaths fine, it's just- that was... weird!"

"Okay! I'm going."

He then leaves, running.

Velvet takes a seat at Ants table. Ant smiles; I hear him mouth something along the words of 'took you long enough.' Velvet just chuckles.