chapter 37 | wonderfield

Darryl POV
It's cold, i cut my hair earlier this morning with left handed scissors i found in my kindergarten pencil case (I am indeed not left handed)

My hair isn't long anymore, before it used to be up to my shoulders - now it's up above my ears. I've removed my glasses too, I don't want anyone to catch me soon. I found a pet carrier in a thrift store for a dollar, I cleaned it with some wet wipes in my bag and placed a towel inside for Rat.

I'm waiting at the bus station. For breakfast I ate a McDonald's hash brown and a medium Diet Coke.

My bus should arrive in 10 minutes, not to long to go. I don't like my new hair, it feels weird, but at least it'll cost me less trouble. It took a while for me to get out of the forest and find the bus station; I'd like to thank google maps.

I sit up when I hear the bus making its way down the road. It'll approximately take two days to get to Ohio, luckily the bus has toilets. On the ticket, it says we get to take breaks to go out every three to four hours.

The bus arrives and I step on, showing the ticket to the bus driver. I walk down to the middle of the vehicle and placing my bags on the storage on top of me. I place Rat on the seat next to me, I'm siting on the aisle seat.

When everyone's on the bus I pull out my phone and my phone charged, I then plug the charger into the charging port next to Rats side. My phone makes a noise when it's finally connected.

I grab a chocolate bar from my bag - cookies and cream Hershey, and I unwrap it. I take a bite and I notice Rat shuffling in their carrier. I look down, they're trying to find a pose to sleep in comfortably. I giggle to myself quietly, and I take a quick snap on my phone.

My giggling stops when I realise the bus starts to move, everything seems to go plain after that.

~~~

Zak POV
My phone gets a ring, I expect it to be an update from Darryls case, or a call from Darryl himself. But it wasn't any of that, god no, I wish. Instead, it was a call from a no caller id.

"Hello?" I breathe into the mic. "Hello?" An unfamiliar voice calls my name, in a 'is-this-you?' tone. "Who is this?" I turn my head slightly. "This is Mark Wonderfield." He replies. "Wonderfield?" I stutter, my first thought is Jeanette. "Father of Jeanette Wonderfield. We found this number in a notebook of hers?"

I smile, I've never met her parents before. Jeanette always described them as 'strict' and 'annoying'

"Who are you?" Marks voice snaps me out of my trance. "I'm erm- Zak Ahmed."

"Doesn't ring a bell to me." He responds. But Jeanette always said she would mention me in conversations with her family? I clear my throat, "I was Jeanettes boyfriend in middle school." I explain.

"Boy friend?" He replies, a short pause between the words 'boy' and 'friend'

"Mhm.." I'm slightly disappointed they don't remember me. It was only a few years ago.

"Oh alright then." Marks voice trails off. I open my mouth to speak but then the call suddenly ends. I pull the phone away from my ear to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. But no, he really did hang up.

~~~

Darryl POV
I start clasping my hands together nervously. I guess stimming my way out of this ride is gonna help me. It's only a few minutes away before we get our break at a gas station. I'm hungry and I ran out of snacks already (the ham in my sandwich I brought was all eaten by Rat)

I have approximately $32 and 50 cents left in my bank account. I'd have to be smart and try to find a way to get money soon.

In the meantime, I start to play Minecraft on my phone. In survival mode picking up tulips for my wooden cabin near the waterfall.