chapter 51 | what was that?

Third Person POV
CW : depicts of depression
"And which flavour do you want?" Zak asks. "Chocolate?" Darryl answers. Zak gasps, "Chocolate? That's like the worst flavour of ice cream ever." The worker starts scooping their ice cream. "Your getting Vanilla. You can't be talking. That's like the blandest flavour, it tastes like- nothing!"

At this point they were just messing around. Not one of them feeling a little sign of real anger.

They originally were supposed to be in a group of four, with Harvey, Zak, Darryl and Vincent all together but instead apparently they were busy on December 26th and backed out at the last second. So now — Zak and Darryl are spending their afternoon in Darryls town. Obviously people came up to Zak and asked questions and took pictures, but nothing would stop them from having fun.

When their ice creams arrive they both mutter a thank you and walk away. "Are you still coming?" Zak asks, licking on his ice cream. "Coming where?" Bad raises his eyebrow. "Bro, u seriously forgot?"

"Uhhhh.." Darryl ponders, trying his best to figure out what he has forgot.

"My concert? Tomorrow?" They're both now sitting down on a park bench facing the water fountain.

That's when it finally clicked into Darryl's mind, "Ohhh! Yeah, i am."

It goes silent for a while until Zak speaks up, "You know.. I really missed you." Darryl's eyes lit up softly, "Ha- I missed you too."

"Can i.." Zak asks, his tone in a hushed whisper.

"Can i vent?" He recomposes himself.

"Vent? Sure!" Darryl smiles, he just finished his ice cream and Zak's one is still melting. "I've been feeling super down lately. I've lost my appetite in most food, i can't sleep properly and my limbs just feel so heavy - like a stone got replaced instead of my usual arms. And how i've basically lost motivation in everything." Zak looks at his melting ice cream, he takes a small lick before sighing heavily. "Do you want it?" He asks Darryl, offering his ice cream.

The brunette looks at it, "Are you sure? You look like you haven't ate in days." Darryl's obviously referring to how Zak has became more slim and looks like he has no energy. "Yeah." Zak smiles. Darryl takes it and starts to eat it, "Zak- Are you okay? All of these symptoms leads to depression."

"I'm fine Darryl." Zak huffs, "This is just a yearly thing."

Darryl ponders on what to say next until he starts to hear sniffles and quiet sobs next to him.

"Zak?" He gasps.

Zak's crying

"Zak.." Darryl comes closer, to come snuggle up to the boy. "What's wrong?" He whispers. Darryl would normally be scared to be doing this in public but he could barley care right now.

Zak sniffles, "M-My parents cut all contact with me. They don't wanna see me anymore. They're ashamed of me." Zak licks his teeth and a muscle in Darryl's jaw twitched. (he clenched his jaw)

Zak chuckles lightly before he faced away as he wiped a tear. "How long ago was this?" The emerald eyed boy asks. "A week? I don't know i don't keep count." The black haired boy answers.

"Didn't you say you had a band practice at 5? I know it's still 3pm but its over an hour drive there." Darryl mumbles. "Yeah let's go, i'll order an uber." Zak uses the sleeves of his sweatshirt to wipe the remaining tears.

~~~

"Zak, wake up, we're here." Darryl nudges the other boys shoulder.

"Oh!" Zak jolts. They both thank the driver and jumps out of the car. "Quick, put this on." Zak rummages into his pockets to find a pair of sunglasses and a mask. Before Darryl could question he noticed Zak already is wearing his.. what's the name? Robbery gear?

Darryl puts on his part and they walk two minutes before they arrive at the building. The building that the two are both very familiar of. "So when's that bubble tea date?" Zak says, snickering at the word 'date'

"Stop, it's not a date. And whenever your free is fine."

When they walk inside no one is in yet. They're about 20 minutes early. The building is furnished now, some couches and fairy lights and a new tv.

Zak walks up to his drum set and sits down. "I haven't been able to practice lately. I guess that's the reason why i've been failing so badly."

"Well you can practice now. I'll rate you." Darryl smiles.

"Okay." Zak says. He breathes in an out before starting to play.

~~~

"That was great." Darryl praises. "Thanks." Zak huffs, out of breath with Sweat on his forehead. "Here. Do you want me to show you the basics?" He asks, standing up with his hands on his hips.

Darryl shrugs and agrees before sitting in the drum set seat. "Scoot over." Zak speaks. Darryl gets confused, what for? Why does he need to scoot over?

When he scoots closer off the edge of the seat Zak plops down and sits behind him. The seat wasn't that big so they would both fall off the seat if they weren't steadying them self. "Oh!" Darryl mumbles under his breath.

Darryl has the one drumstick in each hand. And Zak covers the back of his hands with his own, tightening his grip on it.

Zak's chin was almost touching Darryl's left shoulder. Darryl's breath hitches.

"Okay so.." Zak starts, he starts guiding Darryl's hands to each drum. When he taps it, it makes a noise. "And when you tap this," Zak speaks, he makes Bad tap the cymbal gently; "It makes that sound."

Zak uncovers Darryl's hands and steps back. "You got that?"

"Yeah. I did." Darryl is now blushing furiously. What the muffin was that??

~~~

Darryl sits back as he watches Inside Sweater practice.

(they're singing cherry bomb by the runaways)

They're singing a new genre of music, just to test things out a bit.

Although when he's supposed to be listening to the song he can't keep thinking about what happened just a few minutes ago before the others arrived.

What was that?