christmas at the potters - year 1

"James? Would you please get me the star? In this box over there.", Harry pointed towards a blue box, hidden behind many other boxes that were emptied already.

He himself stood on an unsteady ladder next to an almost completely decorated Christmas tree.

"Here Dad.", James gave Harry the golden star he had taken out of the box.

"Aaand- there we have it.", Harry sighed, stepping down from the ladder, looking at the tree.

"Great.", James said, clasping his hand together in excitement.

"When are the others finally coming?", he then asked after he had admired the tree enough.

"Like always, around six. Seriously James, it's every year the same."

"Merlin, it's still about two hours 'til they come.", James groaned.

"Short enough. We still need to prepare everything. Let's check the attic if we can help Teddy with anything.

Muttering and complaining James followed his Dad up the stairs.

Every year, Christmas took place at the Potters house in Godrics Hollow.

They had a pretty big house on the outskirts of the small village, so everyone fit in.

Literally everyone came.

At first there were Ron and Hermione, Bill and Fleur, Percy and Audrey, George and Angelina, Charlie, everyone of them with their children, then Molly and Arthur, Andromeda and at last Hagrid.

They had such family gatherings pretty often, but Christmas was the highlight for everyone.

After Dinner, they all got together in the living room in front of the Christmas tree, sang Christmas songs and finally unpacked their presents.

After all that, there was a huge sleepover where all the children stayed at the attic and slept there together.

The adults all went home and came back for breakfast to not let Harry and Ginny deal with all the kids alone.

This tradition had started when seven-year old Teddy and five-year old Vicky refused to part and were allowed a sleepover because it was Christmas.

On New Year's Eve, it went similar, except it took place at Shell Cottage at Bill and Fleurs.

"Hey Teddy, I see you were productive.", Harry said sarcastically.

Ted lay on the floor, his legs in the air and was writing something.

When he heard Harry's voice, he jumped up: "Oh, uh, sorry Harry, I was, uh, writing a letter. But I have moved everything already."

"You know you see Vicky in two hours, right?", James asked, being in a slightly bad mood.

"Who said it'd be for Vicky? In fact it's for Mikey.", Ted said, growing just a little bit red.

"Now, let me just clean this up and then we'll set up the mattresses.", Harry said, and with a flick of his wand every speck of dust and cobweb was gone.

"Can't we just magic the mattresses there?", James asked.

"Nope. How many times have I explained this already? You'd be so unbelievably lazy if we took care of everything with magic."

"Blah blah, and I would never get independent. I really don't see any reason-"

"Enough James, the faster we work the faster we're done. Really, why are you in such a bad mood?", Harry scolded.

When they were done they went down to the kitchen where Ginny prepared everything with Albus and Lily.

"Don't let them in, don't let them seeeeeee, be the good girl you've always had to be! Conceal, don't feel, don't let them knowwww, but now they knowwww, LET IT GOOOOOOO, LET IT GOOOOO CAN'T HOLD- OW, ALBUS YOU GIT!", they heard Lily sing in the kitchen at a pretty loud volume.