late night strolls - year 1

"Up!"

The broom that had been lying next to James flew up into his hand at once and he grinned satisfied.

Not everyone had been that successful.

Dominique held her broom in her hand too, but except them only Jace Parker, one of the Ravenclaws they had Flying classes with had succeeded.

Next to him, Lucas was continuously saying, "Up! Up! Up!", with the only result being a fervent hop in the air.

Elizabeth's broom flew up after saying 'Up!' for the fourth time very definite, little time later Leo's did, too.

One by one, everyone got their broom flying up into their hands, except Lucas, Alice and a Ravenclaw girl.

The Ravenclaw managed to move her broom eventually, but not the way she had wanted it to.

The broom flew straight up into the air, about twenty meters, and after pausing there a few seconds, it dropped down onto the boy next to her.

While Madam Hooch, their Flying teacher who had short grey hair and yellow, hawk-like eyes, examined the boy (who had now a pretty huge bump blooming on his forehead), Lucas quickly bent down, and picked the broom up.

Alice hurriedly followed his example, and when Madam Hooch turned around again, she faced every student with a broom in their hand.

As she continued to tell them about the basics of flying, which James had been taught by his father when he was about three years old, his thoughts went astray.

He smiled lightly when he thought of yesterday when he and Lucas had taken the potion.

It had been an extraordinary feeling when random ideas buzzed through his head and he tried to follow them without having a clue of anything.

It had taken him and Lucas a while yesterday until the effect wore off, but when they went to bed at around ten, they were back to normal.

Indeed, James did walk into the bedpost two times, but other than that he could think straight again.

A frowning Ted had come to their table this morning to scold him and tell him that he shouldn't do such things again.

At the end of their small talk though he had smiled and admitted that it actually had been pretty funny when James had addressed him with 'Dad' and wanted to go swimming with Dominique outside.

Other than that nobody really took notice of their little performance and to Dominiques relief they didn't get in trouble, too.

"Now, mount your brooms, grip it tight, and when I blow my whistle, kick off the ground hard, hover for a moment, then lean slightly forward and touch back to the ground. Roger that?"

James snapped back to their lesson and exchanged a bored look with Dominique.

They both were pretty capable of flying for they had spent hours and hours playing Quidditch with their cousins.

The whistle sounded, and they did as told.

Lucas' broom jumped forward with a sudden, causing him to fall down.

For a moment he looked around, confused how he had ended up on the ground.

James broke into laughter as he hovered in the air.

Lucas wasn't the only one who got surprised by the sudden movement of their broom and fell off, another Ravenclaw boy happened the same.

Two Ravenclaw girls bumped into each other at first, and then fell down.