Hope in the Color Yellow (Angst)

{Fandom: Little Nightmares}
(Ships: None)

I already posted this on Ao3, but I don't know how many people saw this. Also, the first chapter I wanted for this book is taking a lot longer then I previously thought. Also now that I am not feeling great. Like at all.

I can't stop shaking-

Tw:
Cannibalism, violence, and starvation

Angst Scale:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Third Person POV

  Six grabs her stomach. The twisting pain was immense. How long has it been since she last ate? She didn't know why, but ever since... that incident, she has been getting hungrier sooner. And now, as Six stumbled through the hall, everything looked edible.

  It was so intense, her mind whirled with it as her stomach growled once more. The cold wasn't helping, pressing to her bare feet and exposed skin. She was glad to have this rain coat, but in this place it was no use. It was like the cold itself was latching into her. Six could barely pay attention to the things around her, but she does see bars to the left.

  After another harsh growl from her empty stomach, she collapsed. Shakily she stood, biting at her fingers and contemplating if she was willing to sacrifice A finger or two to stop this painful hunger. Movement catches her eye and her head wipes over. It was one of those children! The ones from the daycare area. The other was standing up on the bench at the lunch table all alone. They look down at their plate and pick something up, tossing it to Six through the bars.

  Hungrier than ever, Six grabs it and immediately starts eating. She didn't care what she was eating, she just needed something in her system. Only after she took the last bite did her head start to clear. 'Bread?' She thought. Looking over, she saw the other child but her face was obscured in shadow.

  Slowly, Six walks over, pulling herself up with the ledge to look at her savior. It's silent for A bit, but then Six speaks. "Thanks..." She says.

  "Mhm." The other responds. They sit down and begin rocking back and forth once more. Six hesitates for A moment, scanning over the bars.

  "I wish there was A way to get you through the bars..." Six said. They look over. Safety in numbers. Of course Six didn't trust this stranger just because they fed her, but this would be much easier with others.

  However, as Six looked around, she saw that it was impossible. Maybe she could squeeze through the bars. But what then? The only exit she could see was a pile of boxes to her right. But that wouldn't help this stranger.

  "No use... The others already tried." Their rocking paused for a second, then they shook their head and continued. Things weren't good on the other side of the bars. You conform or you die. Either the next meal or turned to stone. They envied the tiny yellow creature on the other side. To be small was to be free. They imagined slipping through the bars and running away from this awful place.

  After learning what the food here was, they couldn't eat. The thought made them gag. The only good thing to eat was the bread, any meats were off the table. But they didn't regret feeding the other child, they needed it more.

  Memories re-emerge of the day they all discovered what the meat was. Human. They had all been fed their own parents and other passengers of this ship. And each other. It wasn't a secret that when you were caught escaping, the janitor took you away to be made into food. Once, another kid found a clump of hair in their food. Of course, not all kids here were good. It may be sociopathic to say, but they were glad those kids disappeared. It was hard to feel sympathy for someone who'd try and kill you over a simple toy that they wanted to play with.

  The constant rocking of the Maw, the grey and dead colors. The hysteria, the mania they'd seen other kids fall into it. They couldn't blame them, this place would drive anyone insane, but it did make things harder when you had to be careful of other kids like yourself. Trust wasn't easy to give or accept. No matter how close to summon you think you are, sides can change at any second.

  And the only way out was to conform and obey the parents. The eye, the tower. That's all they heard anymore. None of the adults had a voice of their own, it was just the Distortion Tower and it's demands. Echoed, loud, scream, static as loud as the shattering of bone. Shaking their head, they look over at the tiny yellow creature.

  "You should run. The janitor will be in here soon to clean up the cafeteria." They said, their voice more dead and monotone then before. Six nods slowly.

  "I swear, when I get out of here I will come back for you all. All the children in cages, all the fear you feel... We will use it against them. One day, we'll be the adults." Six said. They found this odd. Such strong talk of rebelion for such a small body.

  Six didn't care about the other kids. She was more then content to pass by and watch them waste away in their cages. But how cathartic it would be to watch the kids rise up and kill all the adults. All the struggle and pain and fear given back to the abusers, the neglecters, the cannibals. Just the thought of one day given them all the pain they deserved made Six's heart race with excitement. Years of eating fucking rats and betraying friends all to get her revenge.

  "Ok. If you say so..." They said, looking back at their food. And with the sound of scampering feet, the yellow creature was gone.

  Despite their doubts, they hoped the yellow creature was right. Being on top, they could fix all this. They could save themselves and other children too. They laugh quietly to themselves. They thought this place had taken all their hope, but it seems one shred still remains. One tiny shred bathed in a small yellow light.

(1064 words.)