Fragility (Angst)

{Fandom: Dream SMP}
(Ships: None.)

I swear I am working on happy stuff, just have some angst for the time being.

Tw:
Death, blood, and insanity

Angst Scale:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Third Person POV

Wilbur watched Tommy up on the podium, giving his newly appointed position to Tubbo. But it didn't matter to Wilbur. Looking over, he saw Technoblade glaring at the dirt under his feet, fist clenched and shaking. He was about to crack.

No better time like now. "I will be back." Wilbur said, going unnoticed as he slipped out of the crowd.

L'manberg was gone. Even though it still stood, its buildings towering all around, it wasn't the same. As a child, he learned this lesson; Once something is violated, it'll never be the same again.

As a child, he loved guitar. He'd play every day! Nothing gave him more joy then playing guitar. Blissful, happy, and ignorant to the cruelty of the world. But one day, reality crashed in. The other kids bullied him over his hair, his face, how feminine he looked. Those mental scars never really faded. And then, they focused on him and his guitar. Smashed to bits, left crying under the tree, and left scarred. Guitar was never the same again. Of course, he still played, but now it wasn't sacred. It wasn't the joyful experience it was when he was a child. More like a chore.

This great nation was violated too. It just started as a joke to piss off the Americans, but it evolved into something much more. It was fun to build this place up block by block. Every time he sees the buildings he worked so hard to make, he remembers Tommy. He was just a little gremlin kid that was closer to a brother then a friend to Wilbur. But now, even that too was violated.

Wilbur stopped in front of the button. He'd tried to use this once before, but it didn't work. Someone had taken the redstone that worked it. But this time, he made sure to check.

Scratched into the walls were words all too familiar to Wilbur. Words he'd written. But now, they glared down from the walls with mocking eyes of hatred. 'Well, I heard there was a special place where men could go and emancipate the brutality and tyranny of their rulers.'

"There WAS a special place." Wilbur said aloud, scoffing at his own wording. "That special place, it did exist once, it DID. But... Even with Tubbo in charge, I don't think it can ever exist again..."

He takes a deep breath, looking down at the button again. "And so... The button is right there. If I am gonna press it ever, it'll be now."

"And the thing I worked towards doesn't exist!! The thing I worked towards doesn't exist anymore, it's gone! It's over!" Wilbur shouts. He lifts his hand, feeling the smooth stone of the button.

"What are you doing?" A voice said. Ice ran through Wilbur's blood.

"Ph-Phil? Phil, where are you?" Wilbur asked. Quickly he shakes his head. "I wasn't doing anything! We won-we won the war! Schlatt's gone, Phil! We've won."

"Mmmhm. And you are where exactly now?" Phil said. Wilbur froze up.

"In... L'manburg, the area around- um- you wouldn't know! It's complicated! It's geography and stuff- oh..." Wilbur said. He had turned around and saw Philza standing there. Was the look on his face disappointment or concern? He couldn't tell. "Phil..."

"What are you doing?" Phil said again, quieter.

Philza was Wilbur's father. They lived in Hypixel together for a long time. But when Tommy left for this place, the Dream SMP, Wilbur decided to go too. Philza let him go, but only if Wilbur promised to write to him. And, by pure forgetfulness, Wilbur just realized he forgot to send a letter to Phil for a long time. That must have been why he came in the first place.

But Phil was smart. He was the one you went to when you needed advice. Phil could help here, right? "Phil-I- Just um... Do you know what this button is, Phil?"

"Mhm. I do." Philza said.

"H-Have you heard the song... On the walls before? Have you heard the song? I was just saying- I made this big point and it's that there WAS a special place where men could go but it's not there anymore i-i-it's not um..." Wilbur rambled. He brushed his finger through his hair, trying to get that damn curl to stay down. Anxiety made him begin to pace the room.

Phil had never seen Wilbur like this. He looked exhausted, his hair was a mess, and he looked... not the same. More disturbed and erratic. What hadn't Wilbur been telling him in the letters?

"It is there. You've just won it back, Will." Philza said.

"You don't understand! I am always SO close to pressing this button, Phil!! I have been here- like, 7 or 8 times I have been here!" Wilbur shouts. They could hear fireworks exploding and screams. They were fighting outside. And that wasn't what he built L'manburg for. How could he make Phil understand? The words weren't coming out.

"And you want to just blow it all up?" Phil asked.

"I-I do... I think..." Wilbur trailed off, looking at the button. His pacing stopped. It was now or never.

"You've worked so hard to get this land back." Phil said, remembering all the letters. It seemed like Wilbur was so happy here. What changed?

"Phil... There was a saying by a traitor once part of L'manburg. A traitor I don't know if you've heard of, his name was Eret." Wilbur said. He walks up to the button and turns to face Phil.

"Yeah?" Phil prompts.

"It was never meant to be." Wilbur said. He hits the button. There was the hiss of TNT.

Fear took over. Wilbur was WAY too close to the wall! He'd die! Quickly, he grabbed Wilbur, pulling him back from the wall and blocking Wilbur with his wing. The explosions were deafening, along with the shrieks of fear outside.

When all the exploding stops, Philza lets go of Wilbur. He grabbed his wing, feeling blistering hot pain run through it. And then, he looked over at the destruction. The wall had been blown off, craters lined where L'manburg used to be. And there, he saw Tommy standing in the ruins, looking up at them in horror.

"MY L'MANBURG, PHIL!! My unfinished symphony, forever unfinished!! If I can't have this, no one else can, Phil!" Wilbur shouts. His arms were spread open wide as he looked over his destruction.

Philza was at a loss for words. This wasn't the son he knew. This man was erratic, impulsive, crazy. Was it something he did wrong?

"Phil, kill me." Wilbur said. Phil jumps, shocked out of his stupor. Wilbur pulls out his sword, tossing it to the ground by Phil's feet. "Come on, do it now, kill me!"

"Y-You're my son!" Phil shouts. He couldn't do that! Wilbur turns to him, hostility in his eyes.

"Phil, look!! Everything everyone has worked for is gone. Do it." Wilbur said. Phil looked back over at Tommy, staring up in fear.

He didn't know what compelled him to do it, but within a second, the sword was buried in Wilbur's chest. Wilbur makes a little noise of pain and collapses to the ground.

"Argh! God!" Phil cried, feeling despair fill his soul. He got on the ground next to Wilbur. But the other man was still alive.

"P-Phil... Dream earlier said that there was no traitor..." Wilbur struggled out. He should at least warn Phil if he was to die here. Blood covered his hands. "And do you know what? Phil it's Technoblade. And do you know what? He has EIGHT Withers backing his take over."

"What?! Oh shit, I gotta go then..." Phil said. He couldn't leave Wilbur, but Techno would kill everyone if he didn't do anything. Wilbur gives a weak laugh.

"Yeah, go on, go see them." Wilbur said. Phil hesitates. But then, he gets up and runs. Once he is fully alone, Wilbur takes a shaky breath, feeling the life fade from him. "We won..."

(1349 words.)