𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

( 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝗂 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖽𝖺𝗇𝖼𝖾 )

MARY MONTEZ MADE IT HOME late that night, after dropping off Gina at her home, she got a text from Lina saying that she was getting a ride home from a boy she met at the dance.

Mary then decided to take a small drive. She needed to clear her head. After the break up with Atlas, she felt a weight lift off her shoulders, but as she was still driving her mind kept wandering off to Ricky Bowen.

Ricky Bowen confused her way too much for her liking. With Atlas it was simple, he didn't like her, but she did, then he liked her and she loved him and then they dated.

With Ricky, it was so much more complicated. They had this amazing summer, June through August it was like the two couldn't get enough of one another, they were glued to each other. Then that night in August in Ricky's bed, that's when it took a turn.

The way his lips left on her neck, her hands on his chest, his hands on her hips, thighs, her hands on his back, the way their breaths were in synch. The way they laughed a little every now and then, the way they both felt like this was it, this was the feeling they were longing to feel with Nini and Atlas, but they found it with each other instead.

Then the morning came and the conversation started. It hurt Mary, of course it did, and Ricky regretted every saying what he said. But he was a confused boy with confused feelings and Mary was confusing him even more.

Then they would have small moments, that day in the theater, that night in her room, countless nights in her room, the way he would always stare at her, how he was always in awe when she sang or played the piano as Kelsi, how he felt so fulfilled when she would just give him a glance.

Knowing that Ricky is able to breathe the same air as Mary Montez, he felt complete in life.

So then why was he holding back so much? He knew how he felt. That's why he's sitting on her door step, waiting for her, wanting to apologize for tonight, hoping he'd get a kiss on the cheek, hoping for anything.

All he wanted was to see Mary Montez smile at him. So when he saw her car pull up in the drive way, he instantly stood up and fixed his suit and cleared his throat.

"What are you doing here Bowen?" Mary asked as she walked towards him as she wrapped her arms around herself, trying to keep warm in the cold weather.

Ricky looked at her and took off his coat and draped it on her shoulders to keep her warm. "I wanted to apologize for what I said. I didn't meant to confirm the rumors"

"That's why you think I'm upset?" Mary questioned. "Because you confirmed that we hooked up?"

"Y-yeah, is that not the reason?" Ricky asked with a confused face and Mary scoffed.

"Ricky I could care less if people found out we had sex. It's all it was, sex" Mary said with annoyance. She was tired, sick and tired of it all. Did they or did they not? I thought they were dating other people, all the things being said. "What I care about, is the way you sounded so disgusted, not to mention your choice of words"

"I'm sorry okay!" He yelled and she remained silent. He looked so restless, like he was crawling out of his skin. "I'm sorry" He said softly. "I'm sorry for what I said, I'm sorry for shaming you, I'm sorry for all of it. Everything Mary. I'm sorry for being a dick tonight, yesterday, the before and so on. Most importantly, I'm sorry for that day in my room"

"I know" Mary said softly. Mary was a mess when it came to Richard Bowen. Ever since she moved into the house next to his, she's been a mess. She never realized that till now. One look into his eyes and she's a puddle.

She couldn't tell if it was a good thing or a bad thing. All she knew was that she felt warm, like everything clicked.

"I'm so sorry Mary. I would yell it out on the roof tops, I'm sorry I hurt you Mary" He said and she nodded. "Say something"

"My feet hurt" Mary mumbled and Ricky chuckled.

"You never fail to surprise me Montez" Ricky said with a smile on his face.

"And you never surprise me Bowen" Mary said and he took this as a challenged.

"You know, it's still homecoming" Ricky said softly as he looked at her.

"It's 11:56, homecoming is over" Mary pointed out.

"We still have 4 minutes" He said as he pulled out his phone and played a slow song, 'Can I Have This Dance' from the third High School Musical began playing and Mary chuckled and shook her head at the boy. "Can I have this dance?" He asked as he held out his hand.

"You're crazy wildcat" Mary said as she eyed him with a look of...well, how can you describe how she looks at Ricky Bowen. Mary Montez knew what she felt, now she's wondering if he feels the same. She never knew with him.

"So can I?" He asked and she took his hand in her and he pulled her close.

"In every language"

The two danced under the stars, the dim lighting of Mary's front porch, Ricky could smell her perfume, the same one she always wore. Cherries.

Ricky loved the smell, maybe it was because it was on Mary's skin, but all he knew was that he would drown himself in her scent if he could.

Ricky Bowen's heart was beating a thousands miles a second, he swore he was having a heart attack, but all he was doing was dancing with a girl. A girl who changed his life the summer of 2019.

A summer he could never forget, a summer that made him see the world differently. In only a short few months did he realized that he had feelings for Mary Montez.

The only problem? How the fuck does he tell her?

Ricky knows he sucks with words, he doesn't know how to say how he feels, let alone know what he feels. He's 17 and still doesn't understand how to order food for himself.

So how is he supposed to tell the girl he loves how he feels?

"Hey Mary" He whispered and she looked up at him.

"Yeah?" The look she gave him, did it all for Richard Bowen. The two knew what was coming, knew what the other wanted, knew what they needed.

Ricky leaned in slowly and did what he always did, gently rub their noses together, asking for her to close the space between them. Mary leaned in and their lips touched in a kiss Mary could only ever dream about.

Dancing to a cheesy Disney song under the night sky, and having it end in a kiss so sweet the two could feel fireworks. Ricky's hand went from her waist to tip her chin up to deepen the kiss.

Homecoming was a successes.

Double update bc I feel bad