13

Thirteen
DELILAH

Poke

I squint my eyes and try to keep a hold of the last of my sleep.

Poke

Am I dreaming of something poking my cheek?

Poke

I open one eye and jump in shock at the small figure sitting cross-legged on my bed with a curious look on her face. Her brown eyes also widen at my reaction, and then the cutest giggle leaves her mouth.

Did I have a child? Am I still sleeping? Surely I have to still be dreaming.

Oh my God does Mason or Gunner have a child?!

"Pretty like mama." The little child whispers as I continue to stare down at her wide-eyed. "Doll." She shoves a doll into my chest, urging me with her big brown eyes to take it. So I do. Not really in the mood to make a child cry this morning.

"This is pretty," I tell her staring down at the brown-skinned doll.

"Play?" The little girl tilts her head, pulling another three dolls from behind her.

I take the second to observe her. She's mixed race with the cutest light brown curly hair, tied half up half down with red, blue and green butterfly clips. Her big brown eyes are shining with excitement and curiosity, framed by a long set of lashes which I'm beginning to stupidly envy.

"Where are your parents?" I question her.

She points to the closed door and I assume they are outside in the living room or the kitchen. 

"Play now." She demands the smile still on her face.

As I begin to play with her my bedroom door swings open to a wide-eyed Mason.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I have no idea how she got in here. Fucking hell." He breathes out rushing toward the little girl and lifting her into his arms.

"No, uncle Mason!" She whines kicking her little legs and reaching out for me.

I stay as still as a statue not knowing what to do.

"Come on you, I don't need one of your dads beating me up. I'm too good looking for that." He pinches her cheek, sends me another apologetic glance and makes his way out of my room.

I think I sit on my bed in shock for a few minutes before deciding on getting ready for the day. My shift later doesn't start until eight so I've got plenty of time. I shower, do my hair and then build the courage to leave my room, not knowing what or who I'm going to see.

There are multiple voices that I can hear, mostly men, but there's one woman that I can hear who sounds cheerful.

"Mason when are you going to settle down." I hear the woman question Mason and I scoff. Mason? Settle down? "It's just that you can't keep wanting to steal our children, maybe you should make your own...." Her voice trails off as I step into view.

Jesus Christ!

A gorgeous black woman with curly hair similar to the little girl, is sandwiched between two massive men, one covered in tattoos who has the little girl sat on his lap and the other dressed in a fancy suit. His brown eyes gleam down at the woman and I somewhat wish I had someone to look at me like that.

Another man is holding a little boy, sitting on the armrest of the sofa, a mischievous grin on his face.

"Don't mind me. Sorry." I give them all a tight smile and make my way to the kitchen. Where the hell is Gunner?