38

Thirty-Eight
GUNNER

I've been through a tonne of shit in my lifetime. I've sacrificed so much to keep my parents safe. I've been on the streets at some point at the age of twenty-one. I've been involved with drugs, sex and alcohol. At one point I no longer wanted to live.

But I pushed through.

I met Mason and pushed further through the mud I had been stuck in. And then I met Delilah and thought I had finally pulled myself fully through.

But now I'm stuck again.

Stuck and absolutely fucked.

Something else that isn't helping is the bickering coming from the two people I love the most, but right now I want to strangle both of them.

"I can't shoot with my left hand you dickhead!" Delilah exclaims at Mason who just stares down at her in boredom. "Where is the key? Get me out of these." She tugs harshly on their wrists causing Mason to lose his balance slightly. He swallows hard and that has me raising a brow.

"Mason, just give her the fucking key." I get involved, looking at them through the rearview mirror.

"I would..."

"Then do it!" Delilah is straight up glaring daggers into the side of his head as he avoids eye contact with the both of us.

"But I've lost it." Silence.

Nothing but silence.

"I promise you, Mason, if those fuckers don't kill you, I'll do them the favour." Delilah hisses, opening up the car door, and dragging him out with her. I take a breather, gripping tightly onto the steering wheel. My fingers flex, the rings reflecting against the street lamp I'm parked under.

"God save us all," I mutter, stepping out of the car and buttoning up my suit jacket.

I stare up at The Amethyst. The hotel Mason and I took two years to build. It will be the last day the building ever stands and just like that, I'll be on the run again. That's if I make it out of here.

"Gunner," Delilah speaks from the entrance, her brows furrowed at me. Her fingers are linked with Mason and I look down at the ground with a gentle smile. In a fucked up way I'm glad Mason brought those handcuffs because as stupid as he is, I trust him to keep Delilah from doing something stupid.

Two men are standing by the door who clearly belong to Alonso or possibly Damien considering one of them is a cop. My fists clench when his slimy eyes trail up and down my girl. He licks his lips and smirks at her ass. As we walk past him I grab my knife and subtly sink it into his side. His eyes widen and his face goes a deep shade of red, the vein protruding on his forehead as he groans in pain.

"You keep your fucking eyes to yourself, you hear me." I threaten lowly, twisting the knife before pulling it out.

The other guy is completely avoiding eye contact with me as I walk into my hotel which is beginning to feel less and less like it, the longer time goes on.

The lobby is dark. The place is eerily quiet and I'm not liking it one bit.

I catch up with Delilah and Mason and we walk toward the Casino. As we enter my nose turns at the stench of weed and whatever else is in the fucking air.