Beam

I was with Pha and Kit mugging in Pha's dorm when we were taking a dinner break. Pha had looked like he wanted to ask me something the whole night but kept holding himself back.

"What is it Pha? Spit it out."

"The Medic camp for Sotus. Is it necessary to spend that much?"

"What are you talking about? I only gave what is necessary for the camp."

"I'm sure we could cut costs at some places and even bring in our own supplies. Do you really have to ask for everything from Engineering?"

"I don't get it. Its their event and they should provide everything. Plus its not like their own money is being used. They have a budget so i am just using what's our portion."

"For Medic, the sum alloted was 300 baht Beam. But the things you asked was close to 800 and the remaining money for it is coming from Kong. He wanted to make sure the event runs smoothly and wants to also make sure everything that you ask for is provided. But what he doesn't know which you do is that we can bring in supplies from our faculty too. So why didn't you offer that?'

"His own money? I didn't know he topped up. He told me not to worry and just to give him the list..."

"Of course he would say that. As it is, you are pissed at him and imagine if he said no.. and plus he really wants the best for his juniors."

"How did you know about this?"

"I was with Arthit and Kong when they were going through the event and Arthit was nagging at Kong for going overbudget. But Kong was insistent and refused to cut corners. So Arthit told him to make it happen."

"I didn't know.. I thought.."

"It's not my place. But I know you have your differences with him. But now you know. And I hope you take the right decision."

"Has he bought the medical supplies?"

"Not yet. He told me he will pass you the money to purchase it. I think he may be transferring it."

Just as Pha spoke, the transfer came in for 770 baht. If the budget was only 300 baht, then Kong must have put in the rest.

I looked at Pha and Kit who just looked at me sadly. I told the boys I had someplace to be to make it right and both instantly smiled. I took my leave, Kit promised to bring my books back for me.

I went over to Kong's dorm and knocked on his door. A few minutes later, Kong opened the door, looking fresh faced and  holding some notes.

"Beam. What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you..about the Medic camp. The supplies.. "

"Oh okays. Come in. Do you need more? Just tell me the list for me and I transfer the money now. Just get me receipts ok."

I went in, at his beckoning. It was my first time ever and I was pleasantly surprised. It was neat, with touches of floral and fauna plus baby blue walls. I looked at him in surprise and he was sheepish about it.

"I like this colour. The boys always give me grief over it but oh Wells. Anyways yea, how can I help?"

"I am going to transfer you back. We don't need so much. We will have to buy saline only bit that will be about 175 baht. The rest isn't needed. I can bring in the supplies from our faculty."

"Are you sure that's allowed? It's ok. Don't worry about the cost. Just want to make sure you have everything you need without worrying and the boys get through care too."

"It's fine. We are allowed to do so. You should have told me there is a budget. Why were you mum about it?"

"Hmm. No. No such thing. Don worry."

"If you forgot, Pha is Arthit's boyfriend. You didn't realise he tell me? You shouldn't have given your own money Kong."

"Beam.."

I waved him off, assuring him firmly that his boys will get the best care without being compromised and that I am OK with it too. Finally after much reassuring, he agreed and I transferred the cash back.

I then was about to take my leave when Kong invited me for dinner. He had just cooked so he asked me to stay and eat. I looked at him briefly for a bit, wondering if I should. But he was trying to make amends. The least I can do is reciprocate, so I nodded. He smiled widely and told me to make myself comfortable whilst I prepped myself to eat a 2nd dinner.

I hope it was a light one!