Beam

The seizure had terrified me. My heart sank as I watched them try to ease him out of the attack and resuscitate him.

The doctor chased us out when he caught the look of fear on my face. Finally he came out, sharing the news and he walked past me, he briefly patted me on my shoulders and that's when I finally broke down sobbing.

I think more than Kong, everyone was more worried and frightened for me. My mother held onto me and for the first time, I heard her murmur sweet nothings.

We all fell into a fitful silence. Finally Kong's parents arrived after Uncle's treatment and my mother sat them down before sharing what had happened. They looked equally terrified and worried. Now we could only pray.

I went in and sat, all 8 hours straight, holding onto his hand and just murmuring any prayers I knew. I don't ever pray! But for Kong to be back safe and sound, I did.

Nobody left. Everyone stayed. He was in a private room. Finally around 2am, Aim shrieked. I looked up to see Kong stirring, opening his eyes slowly, fluttering his lashes slowly. Everyone fell silent, Aim got hold of his senses and went to get the doctor. I just stood up as the doctor came in and did his checks.

Finally, the doctor said more detailed scans be run later in the morning but for now, Kong is out of the clear.

I kept quiet as his parents cried over him, happy to have him back. Even my mother shed tears. The boys were all grateful and it was evident on their faces. But everyone decided to clear out within the hour, finally leaving me alone with him. I was still standing in one corner. He turned to me briefly and tried to beckon me over. I inched slowly to him, holding his warm responsive hand that tried to grip mine back in response.

Kong was quiet. He didn't say a word. Neither did I. I think words were not necessary to express the relief I felt and the pain he knew he had caused me.

"Beam.."

"Hmm?"

"I love you na."

I looked up at him, my tears finally falling hard and fast.

"Don't ever leave me alone. I was so terrified. And all I could think was, I never got to tell you that I love you too."

Kong just looked at me stunned, his eyes glimmering with tears. I wiped it away before it could fall. I kissed his hands softly, my tears staining his knuckles. He finally gripped my hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

Well, I agree. I wasn't going to let him go either.