Beam

When I saw Kong's mum,  I was like shoots. We both pulled away, I turned towards the sink where I was cutting fruits and Kong chose to walk away to get a drink. I was so distracted by what just happened that I ended up accidentally cutting my finger.

"Shit!"

Kong heard my yelp and ran to me.

"Beam!!"

His mother ran up to me too. But Kong quickly ran my finger under running water and asked his mother to get the first aid kit. He applied pressure on it and quickly put on a band aid thereafter. Whilst he was doing it, he was super quiet. I could sense he was pissed but trying to hold it in.

Auntie nagged at me softly but let Kong take care of me. She left us alone to go check on her husband. I looked at Kong slowly as he dressed my wound.

"I didn't mean to..I..."

"I know. Just be careful. Imagine if it had been a deep cut?"

I sighed softly. He finished dressing the wound and then looked up at me. He smiled and just ruffled my hair. I chuckled at him. His parents came back and found us in a considerably happier mood. I got out the snacks I had bought and we all had tea. After tea, Kong's father was really tired. I offered to put uncle to bed whilst Kong took a shower and changed.

When I came back, his mother was on the phone whilst Kong was chatting with Tew too getting updates on the Sotus camp. I sat next to him and revised my work. Once I was done, I kept it away and was watching shows. But call it fatigue post class or the long drive, I ended up falling asleep there and then.

When I woke up, it was about 9pm and Kong was at the window.

"Hey. What time is it?"

"9pm. Had a good sleep? You must be exhausted."

"Kinda. Where's auntie and uncle?"

"They retired for the night. Mum is bringing dad to go see some relatives tomorrow. So they wanted to rest earlier. She also offered to bring him for treatment so I got the day off."

"I see. That's nice. Have you had dinner?"

"Heh, not quite yet. Wanted to wait for you."

"Ohhhh, Kong, you shouldn't have."

"Silly, it's the least I can do. Come, I will heat up the food. Go wash your face ok?"

I nodded at him. When I went to the dining table, Kong had set up everything for me. I smiled and tucked into the food gratefully. We both enjoyed dinner quietly and I was helping him to wash up when he got a call from Nia. I saw her name flash and instantly my smile dropped.

But I quickly put it back on before Kong realized it. Kong looked at me briefly before answering the phone albeit reluctantly.

"Yes Nia?"

"I already told you it's not possible. Sorry about this."

"Nia you don't get it. Its not fair. And most importantly Beam. He got hurt because of me. Even if it's not for me, I am not going to withdraw it."

"Can we drop the topic? Look I see you in school when I'm back. I'm not around either. I got some family issues."

"Nia. You need to learn to take no for an answer. I got problems to deal with. This isn't a.."

"Nia. Listen.."

I got pissed seeing how the conversation was going back and forth. I knew instantly from his halted replies, she wasn't letting him talk. I grabbed the phone from her.

"Fuck off Nia. Hang up now." And I hung up on her. I handed the phone back to Kong who was stunned by me.

I looked at him, muttered an apology and continued washing the dishes. He just looked at me for a bit when the phone rang again. It was her. But this time, Kong just turned the ringer off on her and continued washing the dishes with me.

I tried to stifle my smile. Boy had some common sense.