Kongpob

I was quite happy when Beam agreed to stay for dinner. I was humming softly as I prepped the food. He came in.

"Can I help?"

"Hey its fine. You sit down, watch a show. It be ready soon."

"It's ok. Let me help you too. I enjoy pottering in the kitchen."

"Oh! What do you enjoy?"

The conversation flowed like that. I found out we shared similar tastes in food but he was safer when it came to drinks; he much preferred water with every meal. We had an easy conversation over dinner and Beam finally left around 10pm.

I was packing up when a few minutes later, I heard knocks on the door. I opened the door to realise Beam was there, panting a bit.

"You ok?"

"I..yes..actually no, what. I mean..i need a   favour please!"

Before Beam could say more, a junior of ours, Nuea from Science called out to Beam.

"P Beam!!!! What na, you are here and you didnt even say! You didn't even come say hello to me!!  I told you right, we have to talk to be closer. How else can I date you? You really make it so hard for me P Beam!"

I was shocked. Was he? I looked at him briefly and he looked at me with so much of frustration. It dawned on me. I took his hand and pulled him towards me.

Beam peeked at me as I put my hand around him casually as I addressed Nuea.

"I'm confused Nuea, why must he talk to you? And date you? That's interesting. Why would the guy I'm dating, date you?"

"What?! He's dating you?!? He never breathed a word."

"Did you ask him? Does he have to tell you? You two aren't exactly friends right?"

I turned to Beam and lifted his chin to look at me. "See what happens when you are too nice to everyone. This is why I said be nice only to me. Hmm?"

Beam just nodded weakly, silently, his ears blushing red. Nuea looked at us stunned. She opened her mouth. Nothing came out. I turned to her and cast her a look. She just waiied and left, murmuring under her breath. I then let go of him, "I hope I saved you. Didn't make things worse or something?"

"You didn't. I'm grateful. Thank you. I was just casually flirting but she couldn't take a hint so.."

"Be careful yea. Haha. You ok? Need me to send you back?"

Beam nodded no and left. I turned to go into my room and that's when I realised how fast my heart was beating. I cocked my head at this realisation and just shrugged it off, attributing it to the nerves of the moment.

What I didn't realise, Beam was experiencing the exact same thing.