Kongpob

As we were driving off, a lull settled over me and Pha. We were cordial and friends mainly because of Arthit. So to have him driving me was really nice as he really didn't have to.

"You ok Kongpob?"

"Hey yea, I will be. Don't worry. Thank you Pha for driving me."

"Don't worry. Arthit values you alot and he hardly asks me for anything. So it's the least I can do."

"He's really lucky to have you.."

I drifted off into silence after that, my thoughts straying to my family. I always thought that I had a very tight knit family but after seeing what happened, I wonder if my faith has been misplaced. I never expected my dad to be doing such a thing. And to hear it from my sisters. How much of pain and ache my mother must be in.

I tried very hard to keep the tears away as I didn't want to be caught crying around Pha. I could feel Pha glance over to me periodically but he didn't say anything. Our ride was silent. Thanks to smooth traffic, Pha completed the ride in just under 3 hours. I waiied to him gratefully for his help. He did ask me if he should come pick me up or wait around for a bit but I told him I will be ok. I sent him off and told him to text once he got to the dorm safely.

Just then my phone beeped. It was a message from Beam.

I just looked at it and a brief smile came over me as I continued reading his message

"I have no idea on what you are going through but hang in there."

Brief but succinct. But powerful and when I least expected it, a shoulder of support from an unexpected source. I just replied with a 👍 and kept my phone away. Time to battle the demons at home.

I went into my home, only to be confronted by my father and mother who were sitting a distance apart. My two sisters were there too.

My mother saw me walk in and she stood up, running to me sobbing. I held onto her as I watched my dad. He was stoic but didn't say anything.

I looked at my dad and I made my sisters take my mom whilst I went over to him.

"Why Pa?"

That's all it took for him to start crying himself. I held onto him and comforted him as much as I could.

My father was dying in 6 months and he didn't breathe a word about it to anyone.

Bloody cancer.