Shakespeare 📚

Marissa

"What'cha reading," A husky voice whispered in my ear. "Go away Beck," I said. She snatched my book from me and read the page. "It's always the quiet ones," she said handing me my book back. "Go away Beck," I said. "Is that all that thou sweet lips wilt say," She said. "Beck, no one likes your shakespearean language, sit down and shut up," I said. She took her seat beside me. Beck was a nerd, think a female of Milo Thatch round glasses and all. She had tormented me for the past few years, and when it came down to it was a contest to see who was the smartest. I looked over at her and she winked, I glared and popped in my headphones and started writing my essay.

The bell rang and I ran out into the hallway determined not to have to talk to her. I went to my locker, when I closed it she was there. "Did you see the group project list," She said. "What group project," I asked. "Busy reading smut I see," she said. "What do I have to do for the project," I said. "You mean our project," She said. "Ugh no," I said. "I already asked to switch but Ms. Jones said we've both complained about people not doing their part so she put us together," She said. "Great, what is the topic," I asked. "I'll explain in the car," she said. "You don't even know if I have time ," I said. "Yeah I do, I know you don't start a new book unless you have a free evening," she said. "Fine," I said.

She opened the door for me. "My lady," she said. "No I'm not getting in your car," I said. "Well how do you suggest we get there," she asked. "I can walk," I said. "Listen it's not completely carbon neutral but it's a hybrid, so please put down your environmental stuff and get in the car," She said. "It's not that, while I appreciate the use of a hybrid, I just don't want to be in a car with you," I said. "Fine walk," she said. I nodded and crossed my arms and walked behind her car, she was intentionally driving slow. "You sure you don't want to get in, I'm not going to hurt you, I still need you to get an A on this project." My heart fluttered when she said she needed me. "Ugh," I huffed and climbed into her car.

"What's the project," I asked. "We have to act out Romeo and Juliet," He said. "You're kidding," I said. "No, we have to perform in front of the class tomorrow," She said. It did make sense we were studying Shakespeare. "Why couldn't we have gotten Cesar and I could have stabbed you in the back," I said. "I didn't decide the assignment," she said. "What scene is it," I asked. "Act one Scene Five," He said. That one wasn't so bad.

I was wrong it was bad, she had to kiss me. "Let's start," she said, "We don't have to kiss yet or at all." "Ok, but we should kiss because that's how it was in the play," I said hoping she didn't hear that I kind of wanted her to kiss me. We went through it until I could do it without flinching every time she touched my hand. "Are you ready to do it all the way through," she asked. I nodded, well I was going to have to kiss her. "If I profane with my unworthiest hand. This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this," She took my hand. "My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand. To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss," this time she tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. She was a good actor I almost believed she was in love with me. But she wasn't, she was playing Romeo. Romeo was in love with Juliet, Beck wasn't in love with Marissa.

"Marissa," she said pulling me back in. "Oh,
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, Which mannerly devotion shows in this," I put my palm against hers, "For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss."
"Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too," she asked. "Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer," I said. "O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do," she said looking into my eyes, "They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair." "Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake," I said. "Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take," she said kissing me, it was a cautious kiss, but a sweet one. I didn't kiss her back, it wasn't in my stage directions and I took those very seriously. "Thus from my lips, by thine, my sin is purged," she said.
"Then have my lips the sin that they have took," I said "Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urged! Give me my sin again." She kissed me again this time more passionately, I kissed her back. It wasn't in my stage directions but I couldn't miss my chance
"You kiss by th' book," I said.

"I think we have everything but the kiss," she said, "I think we need to practice that more." I smiled. "Does the lady doth protest," she said. "That's not correct grammar, and it's not even from Romeo and Juliet," I said. "I know, it's Hamlet," She said. "Can we rehearse that part again," I asked. "Yeah I think I can get the timing on that kiss right if we do it a few more times." She grabbed the back of my neck and kissed me. I reveled in the kiss, I liked it, I liked it a lot. She pulled away, "how was that, " she asked. I came to my senses, "Uh I should go my mom should be here in a few minutes," I said gathering my things. "Uh thanks for coming over," she said. I waved and walked out the door to my mom's car. "I don't want to talk about it," I said. "That's fine, I just need to know if I need to make you an appointment for STD testing," she asked. "MOM," I said "I'm sixteen, I'm not having sex, and if I were it wouldn't be with her," I said. "You sure, you seem pretty smitten when you talk about her," she said. "If you mean I want to smite her then yes you'd be correct," I said. "Ok sweetie, I'll drop it," I smiled at her.

I walked into English class, and went right up to Ms. Jones' desk. "Can Beck and I go first for our Romeo and Juliet presentation," I asked. "What Romeo and Juliet presentation," She asked. "The group project," I said. "I haven't given a group assignment, you're still supposed to be writing your essay on Richard the III," She said. "Ok thank you," I said turning back around to se Beck standing in the door way. I shoved my way out of the class intentionally bumping into her. "Nice prank," I said, "Funniest one yet, you know I think it's so funny when you play with someone's feelings," I said. I went into the girls bathroom and locked myself in a stall until the period was over.

I walked out of the bathroom and past a supply closet before being pulled into the closet, the door shut. "Listen Marissa, I'm sorry," he said. "I don't care, I had to kiss you," I said. "Wow, ok so I guess it was that bad, stupid," she said. "What's stupid," I asked. "Me, I thought I would woo you with the romantic Romeo and Juliet lines and then you wouldn't care about the kiss," She said. "Wait back up, you wanted to woo me," I asked. "Yeah, isn't that obvious, I mean I set up a whole elaborate plot just to get you to kiss me," she said. "Why didn't you talk to me," I said. "Because you would reject me," she said. "You were scared," I asked. "I mean yeah, you're the smartest person, besides me, who I know. And it takes a certain finesse to get a girl like you," she said.

"I mean give me a Barnes and Nobel gift card and I'm pretty much yours," I said. "It was that easy," she asked. "Well that and being a nice person," I said. "Gosh Ris, I'm sorry, I was just trying to fit in and so I bullied you because you were smarter than me," she said. I wrapped my arms around her neck and pressed my forehead to hers, "Did you just admit that I am smarter than you," I said. "No," she said. "Really," I said. She closed the distance between us, in an instant her hands were at my waist and mine were in her hair. "You're smarter than me," she said. "I win," I said. "No, I win," she said. "Why," I asked. "Because I got you," she said. "Not so fast, I need a little more convincing that you aren't a bad person. And scientific studies show that the better kisser a person is the nicer they are," I said. "I don't think that's a thing, but I want to kiss you so I'll do it anyway," she said. He kissed me again, and again, only stopping her assault on mouth to breathe. "You kiss by th' book," I said. He smiled and drew me closer, "You have no idea how long I've wanted to be with you," she said. "You have no idea how long I've wanted for you to tell me I'm smarter than you," I said. "Never gonna live that down am I," "Definitely not, oh and did you call me Ris earlier," I asked her. "Just shut up and kiss me again," She said, and I obliged, being the smart woman that I am.

___________________________________

Happy Reading

💖 Masha