Influenced Part 1. 🌸

Lexa

I sat on my couch for some much needed relaxation after filming all day. I started scrolling on TikTok. I told myself I was scrolling for fun, but really I was scrolling for new trends. Searching for the next best newest thing. I couldn't seem to turn off my work brain. Every part of my life revolved around content creation. Just when I was about to shut off my brain, a new creator, Lara Wright, who had blown up about three months ago popped up on my fyp.

I had never met her before but something about her was off. She was lying about something. Her page was too perfect. Even before she blew up, every post was curated, clean. There was no growing pains where her editing was subpar, or when her videos weren't planned. I suspected an industry plant. No one is that perfect. And then there was her relationship content. Her boyfriend, Kyle, who doesn't even seem to like her. I scrolled by, I guess if she's an industry plant, good for her. But I still found her annoying.

I clicked off my phone deciding that TikTok wasn't going to help me turn off my brain. I had the start of a brand trip with a fitness brand tomorrow so maybe I should just get some sleep.

I woke up and threw some clothes into a suitcase. I hadn't been to New York in a while, and I liked the brand I was going with, but sometimes brand trips just took it out of me. It was constant people. And despite my high energy online personality, I like to spend my time alone. I called an Uber to LAX and mentally prepared myself for the cross country flight.

I got to the airport and looked around for a Pulse Activewear sign. I found it relatively easily. But unfortunately I also found her. Of course Lara Wright was going on this trip, and of course she was the first one there. She stood there talking to the brand rep. She had a perfect set of matching lavender luggage sitting next to her. I looked down at my duffle bag and beat up suitcase I had owned for years. Maybe I felt incompetent compared to her. But even so she was still too perfect, with her shoulder length blonde hair perfectly curled at the end.

I walked over and introduced myself to the representative she checked my name off the list and told me everyone would be arriving soon and we would be ready for takeoff. Lara giddily extended her hand. "Lara Wright, I have been watching your videos for so long, you are a true inspiration," she said. I took her hand cautiously, "Um thanks," I said. Skeptical of the compliment, she'd probably say it to everyone on this trip. Plus she'd probably never even watched my content, most of it had to do with being a lesbian, and she was definitely straight, not exactly my target audience.

A few more people arrived and I noticed that Lara only offered her name to the other influencers. I guess maybe the compliment was genuine. The Pulse rep led us to TSA pre check. Once we got through security she led us to Pulse's private jet terminal. They took our bags at the gate, and then we were let on the plane. It was nice, I'd never been on a private plane before so I really didn't have anything to compare it to. I took a window seat and hoped that no one would sit next to me so that I could get some more sleep.

"Do you mind if I sit here," Lara's peppy voice said. "Yeah, fine," I said. She sat down. "Thanks, I'm glad I have someone to talk to on this trip I was worried everyone was going to be stuck up, but now you're here, and I'm just so excited," she said. "Uh huh," I said. The pilot cleared us for take off and told us we should have a cool 5 hour and 15 minute flight. "Oh gosh I just get so nervous on flights," she said. "Ah," I said. "I've never thrown up or anything but I'm just sometimes worried about you know all the things that could happen," she said. "Would you mind not talking, I just want to sleep," I said, trying to be as direct but as nice as possible.

Lara

Well that was rude. I had been nothing but nice to her. And on top of that I really admired her work. "Yeah sorry," I said. I guess you really never should meet your hero's. I pulled out my book and tried not to bother her. I was the smallest creator here, and I was really hoping the one creator I saw as genuine would be nice. I guess not. My anxiety had spiked, I had hoped to have someone but now I had no one. She slumped against the window and closed her eyes. I'd never seen her wear her hair down before and today was no different, it was in a low loose bun. I wondered what it looked like down.