CHAPTER 45: Daniel Kim

"Damn it." The medical intern cursed when he saw the coarse and zigzag pattern with no detectable P waves and QRS complexes of heart rythm on the lifepak monitor. The cardiac monitor has the same pattern too.

Electrical instability after the return of spontaneous circulation is common
following resuscitated cardiac arrest.

Ventricular fibrillation! I need to shock him!

He immediately recognized the deadly arrythmia, but he's trying to read Missy and the consultant's penetrating gazes.

Are they mad with me for intubating the patient?

He took a deep breath and instructed the nurse to give the patient a shock. Alangan ang nurse na napalingon sa may consultant. Pero nang tumango ito, agad niyang sinunod ang intern. She charged the lifepak machine into two hundred joules like what the medical intern ordered her.

"Charging..." The nurse announced as the lifepak monitor starts to creates a deafening sound.

"I am clear, you are clear, everybody is clear." She announced again as she scan the patient's perimeter. She wanted to be sure if no one is touching the patient nor the bed to avoid unneccessary and accidental electrocution.

"Shock delivered." She said along with the rise and fall of the patient's chest.

The rythm did not change. The coarse zigzag rythm turn into fine patterns. It is an obvious ventricular fibrillation.

"Prepare for another shock. Charge it to two hundred fifty joules." The medical intern ordered again. Melissa and the consultant nodded with the nurse. She again charged the lifepak and followed the medical intern's order. Before she push the shock button, she scanned the patient's perimeter making sure that no one is touching the patient.

Sa ikalawang pagkakataon, nasaksihan uli ang pagtaas at pagbaba ng dibdib ng pasyente nang daluyan ito ng kuryente. The second shock did not change his heart rythm. The fine zigzag turned to coarse pattern again. Five seconds has passed and Melissa is about to give her order when the consultant stopped her.

"That medical intern knows what he's doing. Whoever he is, I'm sure he had run a code multiple times." Pigil nito kay Melissa nang humakbang ito para tulungan ang medical intern.

He's under Missy's supervision, she will be the one responsible for any wrong order he will give. But instead of feeling fear and nervousness on what he was doing, she was filled with amazement. The way he run the code calmly and the way he order with so much confidence was so surreal for an intern. Para bang sanay na sanay itong gawin iyon. Ito ang pangalawang beses niya na makita ito ng ganun. She remember how mad Adam was that day.

Who are you?

Missy bit her lip when their eyes met.  Those eyes and those gazes really gave her goosebumps. Mixed emotions she could not comprehend. A feeling of longing, curiosity and annoyance.

We'll not finish this shift without me...unmasking you, Daniel Kim!

Gigil na sabi ni Melissa. She only knew his name. The picture on his ID is covered with a funny emoticon monkey sticker. Ilang beses na siyang nagtangka na kunin iyon sa tuwing tulog ito pero hindi siya nakakakuha ng magandang tyempo. Daniel almost caught her when she tried to get his identification card out of the clear ID holder.

"Charge it to three hundred sixty joules." The medical intern ordered.

With the nod of the consultant, the nurse prepare for the third shock.

After giving three consecutive shocks, the patient remained on ventricular fibrillation. That's when Melissa started to get nervous. Missy herself is also hesitant about what she will do if she's caught in that situation. She had witnessed such a scene before, but Ace was there to guide them. Carl, Drew and her was speechless on what Ace had did that day.