CHAPTER 47: Calm By His Kiss

"I have a pulse!" Melissa shouted when she palpate the patient's neck area on their fourth cycle. Daniel immediately grabbed the laryngoscope and insert it inside the patient's mouth. She did not blinked her eye, atonished on how he put the endotracheal tube in one snap.

Grabe! He's so fast! Just one slide and he intubated him without a sweat...

She saw up close how fast Daniel hand's was. Apart from Ace, she had never seen anyone so fast. Melissa was momentarily lost in trance but when the senior resident and her consultant arrived, she immediately returned to her conciousness.

Upon finishing the back to back code and transferring the patient in TICU, both of them run to ER when they received the trauma code in their beepers. Carefully asesssing the files Melissa had sent to them, they are planning to prepare three operations simultaneously. One for the trauma patient who just arrive, one for the diverticulitis who needs total resection of his colon and the patient who needs urgent appendectomy.

After intubating the patient who just arrested, Melissa immediately booked him to SICU for further management. They need to stabilize him first before proceeding with hemorrhoidectomy.

"Sorry, I think you expected to much from me. One patient died and one patient just arrested. I just carry the family name Thompson, but I don't have the skills like my-"

"You did a good job for a Thursday night. Don't be too harsh to yourself. Dying and code blues are just normal things inside the hospital. It does not mean you did something wrong. You can't imagine how overwhelmed I am on my first oncall being alone. We are also short staffed that night and all my seniors were inside the OR. If Adam is not the resident that night, I will not survive." She cut her off.

"Having a surgeon in emergency room, that helped me a lot. He's referring to me, yet he's the one whose diagnosing the case for a mere first year GS resident. But you, you did diagnosed all of them. You know what to do. You know what they need." She tapped Melissa's shoulder before going inside the trauma bay.

Adam is a surgeon? Is he a general surgery resident before? For real?

Napakunot ang noo ni Melissa. Ace is also a general surgery resident before entering the emergency medicine. It sounds interesting and trivial. Ngayon alam na niya kung bakit magaling ito mag-interpret ng mga CT images. He has a background in general surgery.

After assessing the trauma patient, they immediately prepare him for OR. The CT report shows multiple penetrating and blunt traumas. The patient will be manage by different specialties; namely general surgery, orthopedic surgery, cardiothoracic, neurosurgery, plastic surgery and optha. They also prepare the diverticulitis patient for OR.

Manghang-mangha si Melissa sa nakita niyang pagiging kalmado ng consultant nila. Hindi biro ang pinagdaanan nila sa shift. Siguradong pagod na pagod na ito, hindi lang sa pagsasagawa ng mga operasyon kundi sa pagtuturo sa mga mas batang doktor kagaya niya. Isang tingin lang niya sa mga CT report ay alam na niya ang dapat gawin. Ni hindi na niya inantay pa ang official report galing sa radiologist. Natawagan na din niya ang mga iba pang specialty para sa joined operation.

"Just start with the total resection, I will be with the trauma patient first. By the time you finish the first stage, I'm done with my-"

"Dok, how about the patient with appendicitis?" Putol ni Melissa nang marinig niya ang usapan ng senior resident, fellow at consultant. Sabay sabay nilang gagawin ang operasyon. Iyon ang pagkakaintindi niya pero hindi siya sigurado kung tama ba ang narinig niya kaya dali-dali itong sumingit.

"As I said earlier, you will perform the appendectomy with the medical intern,  doctor Thompson." The consultant turn to her and smiled.

"I already call the theatre five. They are ready. The anesthesiologist is waiting for you. Go bring the patient to theatre before his appendix ruptures. You can do it, Melissa." He tapped her shoulder and smiled again.