Choices

Ch. 18

Iapetus lunged forward and kicked Percy's sword out of his hand. Percy began to panic as the Titan raised his spear to impale him.

Before the strike could be brought down, a gleaming celestial bronze blade sprouted from Iapetus' midsection and his eyes widened in shock. Iapetus tried to turn around only to have the sword pulled from his back and swiped across his neck.

The Titan dropped to his knees before collapsing onto the ground, golden ichor pouring from his deeply slit throat.

When the Titan's body hit the floor, Percy looked to see his savior and his eyes widened in shock and surprise.

Luke Castellan was standing over the now dead Titan's body with a sword in his hands and looking at Percy with a face that made it so Percy wasn't sure whether to thank him or get ready to defend himself.

Percy looked at Luke warily before he looked at his sword laying five feet away from him. Luke took a step forward before an arrow impaled him in the arm causing him to drop his blade. Percy used the moment to scramble back and grab his sword. He shot to his feet and knocked Luke to the ground where he held the Stygian Iron blade to Luke's throat.

"Why did you just save me?" Percy growled.

A flash of pain crossed Luke's eyes as he looked up at Percy, "I am not working with Gaia. I don't want to be your enemy Percy."

At this point the monsters had all been dispatched and Zoe, Bianca and Thalia were standing by Percy.

Zoe stepped forward, "Give me one reason why I shouldn't put an arrow between your eyes." She hissed with an arrow notched and aimed at the son of Hermes.

Luke shook his head, "Honestly, you probably should after everything I've done. But if you do, you have no chance of making it to the doors of death alive."

Percy stared at Luke, his eyes began to glow brown as he tried to force his way into Luke's mind. At first he couldn't but after a minute, he broke through after realizing Luke was letting him. Percy's eyes widened as he looked through Luke's memories before his eyes dimmed. He put a hand on Zoe's arm and shook his head.

Zoe's eyes narrowed, "You have no idea if he speaks the truth or not."

Percy looked at Zoe, "I need you to trust me Zoe. Please?"

Zoe blinked a few times, "What?" She asked confused.

Percy stared at her intently, "It's a simple question Zoe. Do you trust me or not?"

Zoe stared at Percy for a minute before she slowly nodded her head, "I do."

Percy nodded, "Then let him be... For now."

Zoe seemed unsure but slowly lowered her bow. She turned to Bianca and handed her the bow, "Watch him." She said gesturing to Luke. Bianca nodded and stood with the bow in a ready position a few feet from Luke. Thalia had been watching the entire situation in shocked silence.

Zoe grabbed Percy's arm and dragged him away from the group, "Why do you trust him?" She asked incredulously.

Percy stared seriously at his friend, "I read his thoughts and memories. I know he means what he is saying. I'm not saying I trust him completely but he means what he is saying, at least at the moment."

Zoe stared at Percy shocked, "What do you mean you read his memories?"

Percy smirked, "This is the power of a demigod of Hera. I can read people's thoughts and memories." Percy explained as his eyes glowed brown again.