Doors of Death

Ch. 20

Percy smiled at Bianca before turning back to the others. Thalia and Zoe had big smiles while Luke looked like he was feeling awkward amongst the group of friends.

"What about you Luke? Any injuries?" Percy asked surprising the three girls.

Luke's eyes widened and he shook his head, "Nah I'm fine. Thanks Percy."

Percy nodded, "Thank you Luke. If you hadn't protected Thalia like you did then she wouldn't be alive right now. I'm not saying I trust you yet but I'm grateful to have you here with us."

Luke looked at Percy a little shocked but smiled, "Thank you Percy."

Percy nodded, "So where to next? I'm grateful you're with us and everything, but let's get the Hades out of this hellhole. All of us."

Luke nodded, "Follow me. If we can remain mostly unseen then it should only take a few more hours to get there."

Percy nodded as followed Luke as he and Thalia walked a few yards ahead of the other three. Zoe walked up beside Percy and bumped him with her shoulder. Percy looked at her questioningly and received a smile in response.

"You did well back there Percy. I can see why you've become Lady Artemis' only male friend." Zoe said smiling.

Percy nodded quickly and looked away. Something Zoe picked up on. She looked at Percy questioningly and waited until he finally looked at her again.

"Why do you tense up whenever I talk about Lady Artemis?" Zoe asked suspiciously.

Percy's eyes widened as he looked into Zoe's eyes as she waited for his answer. He thought about when Zoe said she trusted him with her life. He would not ruin that trust with a lie.

"Luke. Thalia. Hold up." Percy called.

Luke and Thalia walked to the group and looked at Percy expectantly. Percy kept his eyes on Zoe before he sighed.

"I'm not going to lie to you Zoe. Artemis is more than just my friend. We've kind of been dating for a little while now." Percy explained as he looked at Zoe warily.

Zoe's eyes widened and she turned to Thalia who nodded her head in confirmation.

"B.. B.. But how?" Zoe asked in shock.

Percy sighed, "We became friends after I returned to Olympus and things kind of progressed from that. After Annabeth showed her face at the wolf house, I sort of lost it and vanished. I was so angry that I really don't remember what I was doing until Artemis tackled me. She tried to convince me to calm down but it didn't really work. Then she kissed me."

Zoe stared at Percy in disbelief, "And you started dating after that?"

Percy shook his head and looked down, "No, I kind of turned her down. I really did like her but I told myself I would never fall for another girl after Annabeth fooled me. I didn't want to lead any more friends to their deaths because I let myself get distracted by love."

Zoe stared at Percy in shock along with Bianca and Thalia while Luke's eyes widened at the mention of Annabeth and he tried to shrink away from the group until the conversation was over.

"Then after the battle at Camp Jupiter I apologized for being foolish and asked her to give me another chance. We started dating after that." Percy explained.

Bianca and Zoe weren't sure how to respond to Percy's story.

"How can you date a maiden goddess?" Bianca asked as Zoe looked at Percy for his response.