Chapter 6

After a few minutes, I go up to my bedroom and open the door to see Nathan laid on the bed with his face buried in the pillow, his breathing heavy and hitching a few times. I sit on the bed next to him and place my hand on his shoulder as he looks up at me, his eyes red and puffy, his cheeks stained with tears. More tears were threatening to fall as I move closer, wrapping my arms around him, letting him bury his face in my neck.

We sit there for a while, Nathan letting his tears fall on my shirt while I rock us slowly. When Nathan pulls away, he wipes his eyes and his face as I kiss him softly.

"Are you okay?" I ask as Nathan shakes his head.
"I've never had to raise my voice at her before. She's always been so good and now she hates us. She's 14. She should know that we're not replacing her." Nathan says, referring to Aaliyah.
"Nath, she's been with us for 14 years. It's only been us 3 so this is going to be weird for her. She's always known it as us and her." I say as Nathan nods.
"I know but she also knows that we wanted another baby. We explained this to her like 2 years ago and she was fine with it. She wanted a sibling back then." Nathan says as I hug him again,
"I'll try to talk to her." I say as Nathan nods and I make my way to Ali's room.

I knock on her door, waiting for an answer but I don't get one.

"Ali. Can we talk?" I ask before hearing her sigh.
"No. I don't want to talk to you." I hear her muffled voice as I open her bedroom door.
"Ali. Please." I say as she groans and rolls over to look up at the ceiling.
"What do you want?" She says as I sit cross-legged on her bedroom floor.
"I just want to talk, okay?" I say as she groans again, "I know you're not happy about the baby btu your dad and I have been trying for 1o years. We didn't even know about it until today." I say as Ali shrugs.
"I don't care..." She trails off.
"Yes, you do. Don't act like you don't care because I know you care, Ali." I say as she shrugs again, "Aaliyah, you have been my number one priority. Since you were born, I left all my dreams and goals behind to look after and protect you. You are my first born and your dad and I would never replace you. You were a shock to us because, if I'm being honest, when I fell pregnant with you, your dad and I didn't completely know each other." I add as she looks at me.
"What do you mean?" She asks as I chuckle nervously.
"We met at a night club on my 21st birthday and things went from there." I say as Ali's mouth drops open.
"You and dad had a one-night stand and got me?" She asks as I nod.
"Yes, but I don't regret a thing because you're perfect. 2 years after you were born, your dad and I got married and we love each other, so much and we share the rest of our love with you. I know it will be hard to adjust to, but we have to half the rest of that love and share it with you and this little one. Ali, I just want you to know that having you and being with your dad was the best decision I have ever made." I say as Ali sits in front of me.
"Really?" She asks as I nod before she hugs me.
"Mum, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overreact, and I really wish I didn't." She says as I hug her back.
"You need to go talk to your dad; he's really upset." I say as Ali sighs.
"She doesn't need to." I hear Nathan say before seeing him walk in, "I heard almost everything." He adds on, sitting with Ali and I, on the floor.

We sit together for a while, Ali apologising to Nathan as Nathan hugs her and kisses the top of her head, telling her that it's okay. I smile as I watch them just sit there, sharing a hug before joining them.

"We love you, Ali. So much. Don't forget that." Nathan says as I smile.
"I know. I love you guys too." She says as I kiss to top of her head, "I love the baby, too." She mumbles as I smile at Nathan.
"So do we."