Chapter 9

Once Nathan's family and David had left, Ali and Jake joined us. Jake sat on the floor, next to Ali while Nathan and Jay were talking.

"Hey."  I say to them both as they smile and start their own conversation, Nathan and Jay now finishing theirs.

Nathan smiles at me puts him arm around my shoulders, letting me lean on his shoulder. I closed my eyes, resting my head on Nathan's shoulder, thinking about everything that had happened in the past few days.

Finding out I was pregnant, finding out the gender, Ali meeting Jake, Jake kissing Ali. Not only is my family getting bigger, but they're also getting stronger.

I can't help my mind shooting straight back to my dad, and what he told me. though. I also can't help but feel guilty about not telling Ali, although I want to tell her when we don't have company.

Once Jay and Jake had left, I took Ali to her bedroom to talk.

"Ali, I need to tell you something." I say as she smiles.
"You saw Jake kiss me..." She trails off as I nod and smile.
"Yes bu-" I get cut off.
"Isn't he amazing?" She asks as I sigh.
"Ali, this is important. It's about Grandad." I say as Ali now sits down.
"Is he okay?" She asks as I sigh.
"He's dying, Ali. He doesn't have long left." I say as Ali's eyes fill with tears.
"Stop lying!" She exclaims.
"Ali..." I trail off.
"No! Stop lying to me!" She yells, "Get out..." She grumbles.
"What? Ali..." I trail off again.
"Mum, please. If you loved me, you'd leave." She groans as I sigh and leave her room.

As i shut her bedroom door, I hear her ear-piercing scream, muffled by the door. I sit outside her door and sigh.

"Stevie..." I hear Nathan trail off as he sits beside me.
"She's really upset." I say as Nathan wraps his arms round me.
"We'll get through this together. We always do." He says as I kiss him softly.

~ 1.5 Months Later ~

I took another look at myself in the mirror and sighed. I pulled my dress down a bit more and put on my cardigan and met Nathan and Ali downstairs.  I hugged Ali before Nathan put his arm round me and walked me to the car.

Once we got to the crematorium, everyone was already there, and they started telling me how sorry they felt for me as I just small smiled and kept quiet. 

Once the hearse turned up, Nathan and a few of David's friends carried the coffin as I walked behind them. I knew David was in there and I knew I'd never see him again. I'll never hear his laugh, see his smile, hear his voice, ever again.

"We have a few words from David's adopted daughter, Stevie." The official said as I stood up in front of everyone.
"Ever since I was a little girl, I'd always dreamt of the perfect family. Having a mom and a dad that loved me and supported me in every way possible. Then I was adopted by the 2 greatest people I had ever met. Then, we lost my mother, and I was left with just my dad. Even though, I lost my mum, I still had the perfect family I had always dreamed of. Then I grew up, I met Nathan and Dad... He absolutely loved him..." I trail off, "Aaliyah was always close with her grandfather ever since she was little, and I loved seeing them together while she was growing up. It is a great honour to have all of you here today to say goodbye to my dad and I just wish I had more time with him, so he could've met his grandson. I love you dad and no matter what. I will always love you. Rest easy up there with mum." I say before taking my seat, Nathan's arm wrapping around me and rubbing my shoulder as I let my tears fall.

XX

Once we'd arrived at the wake, Nathan got me a water and got him and Aaliyah a drink before we mingled with a few people. I didn't feel like mingling, but I had to, for David.

It would've been what he wanted me to do.