Chapter 13

~ 6 months later ~

Everett was now 6 months old and he was starting to sit up on his own. Nathan had recently gone back to work and I was home with our little boy while Aaliyah was at school. I got some housework done while playing with Everett in between tasks.

He was such a quiet, happy baby. Nathan and I hadn't had many sleepless nights because Everett never woke up. Once we'd gotten him into a routine, he didn't come out of it.

"Hey!" I hear Ali exclaim before walking into the front rom and picking up Everett, giving him a cuddle, "How's my favourite brother?" She says as Everett clings onto her.
"He's your only brother." I say, going to make him a bottle, Ali following me, still holding him.
"He's still my favourite." She mumbles as I put the bottle on the side and smile.
"Feed him for me?" I ask as she nods, takes the bottle and goes to sit on the sofa with Everett.

While Ali fed Everett, I got the laundry out of the washing machine and put it into the tumble dryer before starting to make some food.

"What time is dad home?" Ali asks as I shrug.
"Not sure." I reply as she sets the empty bottle on the side, continuing to burp Everett.
"You normally know?" She asks as I shrug.
"Yeah, normally. He hasn't said anything today." I reply as she nods and goes back into the living room with her baby brother.

I keep preparing food before Ali tells me that Everett is asleep. I ask her to put him in his cot before telling her what time dinner will be done.

~~

It was 9pm when Nathan got home, which was weird since he never worked as late as this.

"You're home late." I say as Nathan sits beside me.
"I know. I'm sorry." He says, kissing the side of my head as I lean into him, "I had to catchup with some paperwork that I hadn't finished before Everett was born." He says as I nod and carry on watching TV.
"Okay." I say as he turns to me.
"You do believe me, don't you?" He asks as I shrug.
"I don't know, Nathan." I say as he sighs, "You never come home late and even if you have paperwork to catch up on, it never keeps you this late." I say as he stands up and walks away from me.
"I'm not arguing with you, Stevie. This is ridiculous." He says, turning to me, "What do you think I was doing, then?" He asks, knowing exactly what I thought he was doing.
"You know what I was thinking" I trail off as Nathan sighs.
"I would never do that t you or our family, Stevie! I've never done it before so why do you think I'd do it now?" He exclaims as I bring my knees up to my chest, "You don't fucking trust me, do you?" He asks as I shake my head.

Nathan groans in annoyance before grabbing his car keys and waling out the door.

I don't run after him and I don't stop him from leaving. I couldn't leave the kids here on their own and I didn't feel like moving. I just wanted to stay in the same spot for a while, letting him calm down. He didn't need me running after him right now. He just needed to calm down because I'm a stupid bitch and I've made him mad.