Chapter 10

~ 0.5 months later ~

I was now 7 months pregnant. David's funeral was about 2 weeks ago. Ali pretty much confined herself to her bedroom. The only time she wasn't in there was when she was at school or collecting her food or bringing her pots and laundry down for the wash.

Ali, Nathan and I were always close while she was young but, she was distancing herself from us. She had even distanced herself from Jake, causing them to "take a break" from each other and their relationship while she grieves. It was really hard to see her like this but if this is how she heals, then this is what she's going to do to heal.

Nathan sat beside me as I sighed and laid my head on his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders as I snuggled into him.

"Are you okay?" He asks as I nod.
"Yeah. Just tired." I reply as I feel him kiss my head softly.
"I get that." He says as I nuzzle my head into his neck, getting comfy.
"How's our boy?" Nathan asks as I smile up at him.
"I think he's okay. He's been kicking the hell out of me all day." I say as Nathan chuckles.
"Well that's..." Nathan trails off, "Abusive?" he questions, making me laugh.
"He's gonna be good at football." I say as Nathan chuckles again.
"I bet." He says as I lace my fingers with his.
"I mean, he does have a pretty good teacher..." I trail off.
"Pretty good?" Nathan asks, faking hurt, "I happen to be bloody amazing at football." Nathan says as I chuckle.
"Yeah, on PlayStation." I laugh, Nathan poking my cheek.
"Shush." He says before kissing my head again, "At least I know the rules." He says as I shrug.
"I'm not interested in football. Get over it." I say as he shakes his head, chuckling again.

XX

Later that evening, Ali came to say goodnight and that was it. She didn't sit with us to watch a bit of TV like usual, she just said goodnight and went back to her room. I hated seeing her like this but, what could I do? There was nothing.

Nathan sat beside me as we watched whatever was on TV in silence. I knew he hated seeing Ali like this too but there was nothing we could do to help her.

"She's gonna be okay, right?" Nathan asks as I smile and nod.
"Yeah. It'll take time but she'll be fine..." I trail off, "Eventually."

Nathan nods and goes back to whatever we were watching. I unlocked my phone and scrolled through social media to pass some time.

"Shall we go to bed?" Nathan asks as I look at him, "You look exhausted and were gonna need as much sleep as possible before Everett gets here." Nathan says as I chuckle.
"He's not coming for another 2 months." I say as Nathan shrugs.
"I know but then we'll have like a year of late knight feedings and changing." Nathan says as I roll my eyes and nod, agreeing with him.
"Okay. Let's go to bed." I say as Nathan takes my hand and leads me upstairs to go to bed.