Myeong & Roco

Roco kissed Myeong on the mouth. 'See you shortly.'

'How long?'

'I don't know. They won't tell me what it's about, only that I have to come.'

'Do you think it's something bad?'

'I don't think so.'

Myeong gazed up at him with her big dark eyes. 'You're holding something back. You know you can't keep secrets from me.'

'I know.' He kissed her again. 'I'll be back shortly. Enjoy your meeting with the ladies.'

The door shut behind him and Roco paused to lean against it. He was reasonably sure he knew why Captain Ream was gathering his senior operatives. Rumours were spreading. He'd overheard a group of men speaking about it. He'd discounted it as fabrication but with this meeting suddenly coming up out of nowhere ...

Roco started making his way down. Myeong could definitely feel his unease, his excitement and disbelief. He knew it because she was echoing his feelings back. The Zibons he passed exhibited nothing.

Captain Ream's door opened. Though the room was large, it felt small with all the men gathered. Half a dozen or so heads turned as the door slid shut behind him. Roco nodded at all the familiar faces: Clint, Zibry, Quinton, Tor and Miktar.

'Good,' Captain Ream said as he stood behind his desk. 'Now we can get this done. I'm sure you've heard about the ship's recent developments.'

'I've heard some,' Roco said as he leaned against the wall, folding his arms, trying to act casual like the news didn't affect him at all. 'But it can't be true.'

Clint's forehead was pinched. Tor was looking between Captain Ream and Roco in confusion. Quinton and Zibry were expressionless.

'Strange that you know so little,' Captain Ream said. 'Considering it's been spreading like wildfire around the ship.'

'Well, we don't have as much reason to socialise with our workmates,' Clint said with a half-smirk.

Captain Ream snorted.

'What are you talking about?' Tor said.

'One of your Rictorians has fallen pregnant,' Captain Ream said.

Roco's heart skipped a beat. So it was true! Clint's eyes were wide. Tor was frozen. Zibry's mouth was open.

'But we don't know if it's viable,' Quinton said. 'We don't know if it'll survive. We don't know exactly what it is yet.' He shook his head. 'A Zibon-Rictorian hybrid ... I don't even know what that means.'

Zibry gripped onto a nearby chair and slowly slid into it, looking a lot like Roco was feeling. Roco raked his trembling fingers through his bristly hair.

'Who is it?' Zibry's yellow eyes darted between them. 'Where's Drake and Silo?'

'Silo's too unwell,' Quinton said. 'As for Drake ...' He let it hang in the air.

Tor's eyebrows shot up. Zibry leaned over his lap, his hands clasped between his knees.

'He's just found out,' Quinton said. 'They're both a little shocked.'

'No shit.'

'So, what does that mean for us?' Roco said.

'It means you continue as you are. To be with your Rictorians. To—' Captain Ream twisted his mouth into a sneer '—put your bedroom schedules as top priority. Except for Quinton, who we need right now, the rest of you are no longer required for duty.'