Rachel & Miktar

She was definitely playing with him. And she was certainly not like the others. Ever since the first Rictorian had entered Miktar's infirmary, he'd imagined how he'd do it, how his own female would react. He would do it better, he'd told himself. He would do it right.

But he hadn't accounted for someone like Rachel. She didn't seem to be scared or reluctant and yet she was keeping her distance. Not exactly a physical distance, more like an emotional one. What exactly did she want from him?

They were lying in bed together, close enough that their shoulders were touching. It was late. Ever since that first kiss, they hadn't properly touched each other.

Her eyes were closed and she was breathing regularly—but she wasn't asleep. He could tell. He'd kept the lights to a dim glow at her request, and he could see the small smile upon her lips. All Miktar wanted to do was tear her clothes off and roll on top of her. All he wanted was to get it over with and make her his.

Her hand was beside his. He dared to grasp it. Rachel's eyes opened. She turned her face. Miktar released her with a start. 'Sorry.'

She grabbed his hand back. 'Aren't you tired?'

'Aren't you?'

'I've been asleep.'

'No, you haven't.'

She twisted her mouth as though trying not to laugh. 'You're as smart as you look.'

Miktar gave an uncertain smile. 'Thank you.'

She rolled over. Miktar did the same. He couldn't keep her eyes off her face. Was this really real? A woman in his bed? He wondered if he was dreaming.

'How can this not be a dream?' she said.

'You read my mind.'

'How long were you waiting in my room for?'

'Not long. We were tracking your movements closely.'

'We?'

'The others you saw.'

Her eyes rolled up as she tried to remember. 'Ah, yes.' He eyes swivelled back to his. 'So much effort just for me.'

'I would have waited a week in that room. A month. A year. You and your kind might be the answer to the continuation of our species. You're worth every resource we have.'

She gave him a sultry smile. 'I've never felt so important before.'

'Get used to it.'

She gazed at him. 'You're very intense, aren't you?'

'We all are. What would happen if your men didn't have access to women?'

'All hell would break loose,' she agreed.

Miktar was starting to feel hot. He threw off the blanket from his waist. He raised himself up, leaning on his forearm. He swept the hair from her face with a trembling hand.

'What are you going to do?' she smiled.

'What do you want me to do?'

Taking his hand, she pressed the tips of his fingers to her lips. She sucked the tip of his middle one. Miktar didn't realise he was holding his breath until his lungs ached for air. He released his breath in a whoosh and gasped in another. He was so aroused he could feel his pulse pounding in his balls. His shaft was pressing hard against his pants. He was doing everything he could to keep it under control.

She released his hand and rolled onto her back. 'What do you do on this ship anyway?'

Miktar stared, unable to assemble his thoughts. 'Pardon?'