Rachel & Miktar

Miktar watched from his spot at the table as Rachel sat on the edge of the bed, gazing quietly through the window. Her long blonde hair trailed freely down her back. Her soulful eyes were darker than usual. Her journey to Rictor 5 and her reunion with her father had been successful but she was sad. She was a different Rachel to when she'd first left the mother ship.

She should be sad. I'm taking her away from her family. The rest of the women had been much the same. Miktar took another mouthful of his soup. Rachel's meal sat untouched.

'Don't you have anyone back on Zibon 8 you miss, Miktar?' she said.

'Not particularly.'

'What about your parents? Brothers, sisters, friends?'

'The family unit doesn't work quite the same for us Zibons. I knew my parents when I was young but once I came of age I was taken into schooling. There, I made a new family.'

'Sounds kind of sad.'

Miktar shrugged. 'I was tearful a little but not for long. That is how it's done.'

'What about siblings?'

'I have seven brothers.'

'Seven?!'

'It's quite normal. Fertile female Zibons are expected to birth as many children as possible.'

Rachel was looking at him wide-eyed. It seemed like she wanted to say something, only to change her mind. 'Any-any sisters?'

'Unfortunately, no. Females are few. A girl is highly valued. If I were to have a sister, I wouldn't have known her anyway. They're all whisked away to the female quarters where every effort is made to make her fit and healthy for breeding.'

Rachel's mouth fell open.

'But don't worry! The same won't happen with you. You are not a Zibon.'

She turned to the window, looking pensive.

'I had friends but we all must move on. And now I have new friends.' He paused. 'Are you okay?'

'Sorry.' Her face scrunched up as she forced a smile. 'I'm being a bit of a downer right now, aren't I?'

'You're allowed to be.'

'I'm just ... grieving a little. And I'm ... and I'm a little scared. Seeing my father for the last time really drove it home—what I'm doing. The impossibility of what I'm doing. Aliens.' She laughed. 'You can't make this shit up.'

'Don't be scared of me.'

'I'm not scared of you. Just ... everything else.'

Miktar's heart sank at the sight of the tears in her eyes. She squeezed her hands between her thighs, her shoulders hunched. Miktar didn't think. He stood and went over. Taking her hands, he helped her up, then pulled her into his arms.

'I'll look after you.' He kissed her on the cheek. 'I'll love you like nobody else.'

Rachel didn't speak, her face buried into his shoulder as she dug her fingers into his waist. She was stiff and quiet and Miktar knew she was trying her best not to burst into tears.

Neither of them moved for some time. Finally, she turned her face and Miktar held his breath as her lips brushed against the nape of his neck. Then she kissed him there. Miktar pulled back, his eyes darting between hers. Was she ready? She gave a quivering smile. Biting her lip, she leaned in. Miktar kissed her back.

Then he was pushing her onto the bed. He laid her down, lying on top of her as he nuzzled her neck, just where she'd nuzzled him. With a gasp, she slid her hands up under his shirt. Miktar kissed her down her throat, then moved back to her flushed face where he kissed her on the mouth, spreading her lips open so he could slide his tongue against hers.