Rachel & Miktar

'They were uncontrollable,' Reece explained. 'You should have seen it. Lew was so depleted he was on the brink of a seizure. And yet he still wouldn't stop. We had to sedate him and tie her to the bed. But now ... everything seems back to normal.'

Miktar gazed at the Rictorian, at those telltale bumps around her eye. Three. Three pregnancies. 'Almost seems contagious, doesn't it?'

Reece snorted.

Lew was resting in bed with her, both propped up against their pillows, his arm around her shoulders. He couldn't stop looking at those bumps, touching her cheek, brushing his lips against hers. Miktar felt a burning rush in his groin as he thought about Rachel.

'Have you told Balvor and the rest?'

Reece nodded. 'They're coming.'

'So, you're thinking that the pregnancy has resolved their ... er ... sexual desperation?'

'That's what I presume. He wanted to fertilise her and he's done so.' He shrugged. 'Their bond has been a little rough.'

'And when she gives birth ...'

'We'll have to wait and see.'

The Rictorian spoke something into Lew's ear. He laughed.

The two specialists turned as the door slid open. In strode Balvor and two others from the contingent.

Balvor seemed pleased but serious. 'It's time to move them. Frizz is coming to check this one out. If she's clear, we're moving them all to Zibon 8 within the day. Time has become critical.' He looked at Miktar and Reece. 'Is she well?'

'She's well. Like the others.'

Moments later Frizz entered. He was grinning and rubbing his hands together. 'Great news!'

'We have to get moving,' Balvor reiterated to Frizz. 'Check her over. If she's fit, I'll inform Captain Ream and the team on Zibon 8.'

Frizz introduced himself to the pair, then went over and assembled his equipment. Miktar felt a little numb as he watched him analyse her. Zibon 8—he was going back home. Today. He hadn't expected to return for another two years at least.

'Are you okay, Miktar?' Reece asked.

Miktar's head seemed to turn on his neck slowly. 'Just ... surprised.'

'We're all surprised.'

Soon, Frizz was done. 'She's in perfect health,' he told them.

'Then I'm going to get moving,' Balvor said. 'You may as well inform the bonded to prepare themselves.' He exited the infirmary.

It was only minutes later as Miktar was walking back down the corridor when he received the call from Captain Ream. 'I know, Captain. We'll be ready.'

Rachel was waiting for him. She cocked her lovely head. 'Is there something wrong? You feel funny. You look funny too.'

'We're going back to my home planet.'

She raised her eyebrows. 'This Zibon 8?'

Miktar nodded. 'Another woman is pregnant. There will be more. We have to get you to where you're safe. Where you can be looked after.'

Rachel was frowning as she gazed up at him. She stood from the bed and met him in a tight embrace. 'I can't wait.'

She looked up to kiss him on the mouth. Miktar kissed her back, feeling the anxiety draining away. Everything would be find as long as he had Rachel.

He gently took her face. 'I can't wait to make a life with you.'

It was close to the end of the day by the time everyone started to assemble in the holding bay.