Alexis & Drake

'Why are you so anxious? This is a good thing, isn't it?' Alexis said. 'This is what you want. This is what's going to save your species.'

'Then why are you so anxious?' Drake said with a sardonic smile.

Alexis frowned. 'Am I? I thought that was you.'

Drake scratched his neck. 'It's natural to feel anxious when we don't know what to expect.'

'How soon will they take me to Zibon 8? Do we really have to go?'

At least there was Aisha, Alexis reminded herself. At least she wouldn't be alone. And soon the others would be pregnant and quickly follow. When she'd found out Aisha was pregnant, she'd never been so relieved in all her life. She hadn't realised how desperately afraid and alone she'd felt. They really needed to speak with each other. They needed to be fast friends. But, for the moment, she was there, going through the same things—and that was enough.

'We'll find out soon enough.' Drake was looking down at his I-Spy sombrely. He'd received the call that he must meet with the contingent ASAP.

'I'm coming with you.'

Drake opened his mouth to protest.

'I'm just as much a part of this process as you are. More so! We are equal partners—and I will be there.'

'They want you in the infirmary. The gestational specialists are requesting you now. They're getting everything ready.'

'Too bad.' She folded her arms. 'I'm not a fucking animal. Besides, I want you with me. When they poke and prod me, I want you with me.'

Alexis felt an unusual sensation through their bond. Something large and strong seemed to rise up between them. Drake towered over her as he took her face and kissed her hard on the mouth.

'I won't let them do anything to you you don't want, understand me? And you're right. I want to be with you too.'

He was feeling protective, that was what the unusual feeling was. Very protective, in a way that made her fearful to be his enemy.

He took her hand. 'Like I said, you're right. You should know everything—as equal partners.'

His hand was firm around hers as they made their way in a direction she'd never been before. The ship itself looked much the same no matter where one went. The same curved windows. The same metal flooring. The same quiet and curious Zibons passing them by.

The room they entered was simple. Carpeted. Large table in the middle. There was a huge viewing window looking out into space. There was nothing unique about it, except for the group of Zibons milling around the table. They all turned as they entered. Immediately, Alexis's eyes fell upon the two women. Her mouth fell open.

'She's supposed to be in the infirmary,' Captain Ream spoke gruffly.

'You want me to come, then Alexis comes with me too,' Drake said.

Alexis's eyes hadn't left the two women, both of whom were staring right back at her. Alexis lifted her chin. This felt like familiar territory, like she was back home in her rough neighbourhood, expressing her dominance. They might be big and tall but they had nothing over her. She was the special one. She was the one who had been forcibly removed from home and who had since proved to be more than any of these people—these aliens—could imagine.

Ultimately, she was the one who had the power here.

Drake squeezed her hand. Alexis continued to stare until the two women looked away.

'So be it.' A Zibon with black hair waved his hand in dismissal.

A grey-haired Zibon was watching her closely. 'If the gestational specialists can't have her in the infirmary, then they might as well be here.' He nodded towards another Zibon who pulled out his I-Spy.