Chapter 9

Aaron's Point of View

I paced the place hallways in the same clothes I wore the previous night. Ever since I received a coded message from Elisa, I've been using every spare second I could to decipher it. After I was entirely sure of what it said, I went to my parents.

I threw opened the doors to my father's office to see him behind his desk with his hair in his hands. He clearly looked frustrated as he scribbled angrily on the documents and papers in front of him.

"Dad, I fin-"

"What did you need me for, Maxon?" Mom asked as she walked in the office. She was dressed in a blue dress, her crown sitting on top of her head. She held an elegant air about her as she came to dad's desk.

"I needed you both here to watch the incoming video from the rebels," he reported as he put his pen back in a circular container.

"Why would they send a video live?" I asked skeptically.

"I don't know. That's why I'm worried," he replied with a grave facial expression. My parents and I crowded around a screen to watch the incoming video.

The screen opened to reveal an older man with greying hair that was of a dark brown, and he was decorated with a crimson sash of medals in front of a white shirt. He had golden eyes and a wicked smile, one I wouldn't soon forget.

"Hello, Illèa royals," he began. "I'm Captain Ferradas Ray, leader of the Confederation Patriots Association. You must have received my letter, I presume, from the former selected member."

"What do you want?" Maxon asked seriously. His eyes scanned the screen for answers.

"Well, it seems the girl is a bit more.... rebellious than expected. You're all here to witness a lesson. This is what will happen if you choose to defy me, no matter the request given. As a result of her defiance, I'm going to kill this girl."

A pounding noise came from the corner of the screen. My eyes darted to see Elisa pounding on what seemed to be a glass wall. She was screaming, along with a tall boy I had seen at the Spring Ball. I believe it was her brother.

My heart dropped at the sight of her, and all of the ache and pain I felt missing her returned quickly. I pushed it back further into my mind to focus on the task at hand. A young girl with bright blonde hair stood in the center of the room, confused and weak.

"Penelope!" Elisa screamed, tears streaming down her face. "You won't get away with this!"

"Shut her up before I do!" Captain Ray yelled at a man behind the glass. He wrapped his arms around Elisa, but not aggressively. She immediately began to calm and sobbed into his chest.

I felt a pang of jealousy stab me in the side as I watched a man around my age calm her down. It seemed unfair that I wasn't there to do it for her. I pushed all of these feelings aside to focus on the task at hand.

Penelope laid helplessly as Ray grabbed a whip. It was barbarous; it had several tails that splintered out, some with small knots at the end. He repeatedly slashed into Penelope's back, and with every strike, both Elisa and I winced.

Mother had to look away and into Maxon's shoulder. Although she was strong, she could never bare the sight of gruesome scenes. Penelope screamed so shrilly, until suddenly, it stopped.

I opened my eyes that I didn't realize we're closed to see Penelope lying on the floor. Ray threw the whip to the side and shook off his hands. Blood splattered his vest and sash.

"I trust this will make you be more wary of the CPA. We are a force to be reckoned with; don't take us lightly."

***************

Ray walked out of the door, allowing the barrier to fall. My brother and I both ran to Penelope, and I collapsed on top of her. Her blood soaked through my dress, but I didn't care. I wanted my little sister back.

Harrison cried with me, which I hadn't seen him do in several years. The last time he cried was when my Uncle Samson died fighting in New Asia. Sobs wracked our bodies, and the cold surrounded me.

I figured Harrison had left to mourn, but I remained. I didn't keep track of time. I cradled Penelope's soft curls in my hands. I stroked her smooth cheek with my thumb to find it to be cold and lifeless. I shed tears, and they gradually fell on her face.

I allowed all feeling to take over my body after that. The sight of her violet eyes losing life recurred in my mind numerous times. I pulled my knees to my chest and went entirely numb.

Eventually, I was lifted up. If I was carried or walking I wasn't sure, because the sadness had dazed my entire body. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew somebody was guiding me.

I was put on a red surface. It was soft and bouncy, and I allowed myself to enjoy the comfort it held on me. I was covered with a fluffy blanket, the finest quality I had seen here yet, but it didn't warm me. I was cold and numb.

"It'll be okay soon, El," a distant voice chanted. The comforting voice soothed me into a lulling sleep.

And for the first time, it didn't matter to me wether or not I would wake up.