Chapter 19

I woke up next to Aaron with light pouring in from the windows. I had taken the sunlight for granted before, and I wasn't going to do it again. Aaron's breathing was light on my neck, and I tried moving softly out of his death tight grip.

I brushed my teeth in my bathroom and examined my feet. Although that solution was terrible, it healed my feet remarkably well. I brushed my hair and came back out to see Aaron fast asleep on my bed.

He looked peaceful and serene. I started to shake him awake. "Aaron, get up," I said softly, not to startle him. He began to stir, and his eyes opened. I saw his beautiful blue eyes.

"Hey," he said, taking a sharp inhale of breath. He stretched his arms and sat up, propping himself up on his hands. "How are you doing, Elly?"

I smiled warmly. "I'm doing a lot better. Is it okay if I go to my room? I need to see my maids and let them know I'm ok."

"Yeah, yeah, that should be fine. Could you be ready for breakfast, though? I have an important announcement," he smiled.

I kissed his cheek before going to my old room, receiving several open mouths from the staff. I replied with a simple smile. I arrived at my room, but there wasn't a peony on the front. I entered inside and saw Cecelia, Mary, and Diana waiting for me.

"Hey," I said sheepishly. I expected them to be angry or something, but they just squealed and came to hug me. I was wrapped in their embrace, and there was no escaping. "Girls, I love you too, but I have to be ready for breakfast," I giggled. "I'll tell you about everything as I get ready."

So I told them. I told them everything except for a few things about Nathan and I, mainly because I didn't want to stir anything up. They put me in a bright dress of a beautiful green color, and left my hair to fall to my hips. They put me in white heels, and I started towards the dining hall.

I opened the doors a few minutes late, because everyone was already seated. Aaron had an empty seat next to him, so I sat in it. Everyone was deadly silent, looking at me. I was tired of the pressure, and I just wanted to scream.

"Could you pass the pepper, please?" I asked Leila politely. She nodded her head and gave me the shaker, which I sprinkled over my eggs. Nobody had taken their eyes off of me except for the King and Queen. Hell, even Marlee was gawking.

Needless to say, breakfast was extremely awkward. I was one of the only ones eating. I gulped my water, and as I put my glass down, Aaron stood up. He got everyone else's attention off of me, thank god.

"Ladies, I'm prepared to announce the Elite," he declared. America took Maxon's hand, and they watched as he delivered his list. "If your name is called, please report to the ballroom after breakfast for dancing lessons. If not, a guard will escort you home."

Everyone's posture straightened, and I couldn't bear the suspense. After a dramatic pause, he began listing names. "Lady Elisa Carams, Lady Pepper Evans, Lady Kiara Espanosa, Lady Danielle Nicholas, Lady Leila Prude, and Lady Opal Spar. You all are free to leave the dining hall now."

Some girls burst into tears. I turned my head at some of them. They bawled and begged dramatically. Seriously, if you couldn't handle the rejection, you wouldn't have been fit to be Queen anyway.

"She hasn't been here for four months, she missed training, and she's committed treason!" A young lady bursted. Everyone gasped at her, and I fought the urge to gape.

"Lady Giana," America began. I stood up, my chair making a strident noise.

"No, your majesty, she's right. I haven't been here, nor have I learned what you have with Brenda." Giana smiled triumphantly. "However, I was kidnapped and held against my own will for four months. I have a high education status of a basic nurse, and not to mention leadership skills. I was forced to stay there."

"And," I continued. "If Prince Aaron chooses to send me home, I would go. Our relationship is strong enough to sustain four months of absence, and even in your presence, you couldn't make it last. I think that says more than I can."

"If anyone has anything they'd like to say to me, please say it now. I'm sure you wouldn't want me to find out through gossip, because I assure you, this barely scratches the surface of how I'd behave."

I left the dining room without another word, slamming the doors behind me. I walked to the infirmary to check on Nathan and Harrison, and immediately went to the rooms they were assigned. Nathan's room was empty, but he was in Harrison's room.

I smiled at them and watched from the doorframe. They were playing a card game, and from what I could tell, Nathan was losing. His bright smile was different from how it was underground. It was younger, brighter, and exuberant.

Harrison caught my eyes in a violet gaze. "Hey sis," he greeted brightly. Nathan looked over his shoulder and blinked several times. His eyes widened, and even from a distance, I could see his golden eyes clearly.

"Hey, guys," I greeted. I sat in a nearby chair. "What's up?"

"Kicking Nathan's arse at go fish," he smiled.

"Act your age, not your height," I giggled. Of all the card games Harry knew, he picked go fish.

"Well, I'm a lot taller than you are. Consider your burn backFIRED," he retorted, laughing at his own pun.

"That was terrible," Nathan groaned. I laughed, as well. Not at the pun, but the reaction everyone had.

I sat beside Nathan on the bed, our shoulders touching. His warmth spread through my body through his black shirt. "El, could you come to my room for a minute? I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure," I shrugged. "I'll see you later Harry, ok?"

He nodded his head and busied himself with a book. I followed Nathan into his room, and he shut the door. I sat down in one of the chairs and looked back at him. "What did you want to talk about?" I asked him curiously.

"I've never seen you in color," he smirked.

I raised an eyebrow. "That's what you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Not necessarily," he replied mischievously. "You look beautiful in color," he added. I swallowed a lump forming in my throat, and a blush rose to my cheeks.

He kissed me unexpectedly. My eyes widened, but he didn't let go. His arms wrapped around my torso, pulling me close to him. I melted into him, following every movement he made. Eventually, we both had to stop for breath.

"This can't keep happening," I said as I gasped for air. I rested my head on his chest, staying in his warm embrace. His chin was on my head, and he kissed my hair gently.

"What the hell is going on here?" Aaron asked angrily from the doorway. If looks could kill, both of us would be dead.

Not that we weren't going to die anyway.