Chapter 29

Tonight was the night. Tonight all of Illèa would be watching me as. Member of the Elite. I was a lady, coming out as one of Illèa's prized possessions. I felt like it too; Brenda had given us the entire day off to get ready. The girls were being treated to a spa day.

I felt right at home in the comfortable atmosphere of the chair. My feet were soaking in warm water, and they were polishing off my feet to prepare then for a pedicure. Danielle was on my left, and she was enjoying whatever product was being put into her hair.

Leila, however, didn't look so much at ease. She was fidgeting in her chair, and she flinched as people touched her feet. Being a six, she never was exposed to this kind of treatment. There were only twos and threes here, so she felt out of place.

My hands were getting manicured, and I could feel the lotion they put on my hands seeping into my skin. My feet were soft and didn't have a spot of dry skin, which I loved. I didn't know what my dress would look like because my maids wanted it to be a surprise, so I went with a simple French manicure.

All of the girl's maids were prepping them here, so I felt completely comfortable with trusting Mary to do my hair. I knew Cecelia was a perfectionist, so my nails would look amazing. Diana was busy fixing my dress, putting 'last minute details' on it, she said.

I could see the great relationships the girls held with their maids. Whenever Opal would tell a joke, her maids doubled over in laughter. Leila's maids teased and pecked at her reactions to every beautification, and when Leila grimaced, they smiled and shook their heads. Pepper and her maids were chatting about something I couldn't hear, but they seemed to be having a good time.even Danielle's maids were talking happily about the latest fashion trends.

However, Kiara's maids seemed off. They seemed hesitant to do anything to her, and ver carefully and cautiously did their jobs to ensure perfection. Kiara didn't even talk to them. Her maids would hardly make eye contact; when they did, they darted their gaze away. I'm sure it was just my imagination.

A few hours later, I was finely polished and ready for my hair and makeup to be done. They decided to take me back to my room to do all of that, though. Mary was flipping through every hairstyle article of every issue of Illèa Weekly over the last year before she found one she wanted to do.

She got to work at my hair, twisting and bending it to her will. Cecelia was hard at work on my makeup. She started with a prepping material, and moved slowly through the steps. She used contouring on my foundation and added a blush to my cheeks. She dusted on a gold-brown eyeshadow over my eyes.

She finished it with winged eyeliner and mascara. I gasped at my reflection and at my beautiful hair. As I was about to thank them, Diana came in with the largest dress cover I had ever seen.

"Go ahead and undress. I can't wait to see you in this dress," Diana commanded. We all laughed as they stripped me down to put the dress on over my head. I closed my eyes as the fabric flew over my head and settled on the ground. I opened my eyes to see the most grand dress I had ever worn.

It was large and white, with gold all over it. The diameter of the skirt against the floor was giant, and I could imagine how wonderful it would appear when I danced. The fabric was sleek and beautiful, and it held a sweetheart neckline, modestly showing my chest.

My collar bones jutted out dramatically as they placed a large diamond necklace around my neck. They pinned a beautiful white peony in the back of my hair above the curls. Then, they showed me my shows. Similar to the Spring Ball, they had golden metal flowers wrapping around the heel. It was beautiful. I was beautiful.

"Oh my god," I muttered, my red lips moving in the mirror. I blinked several times to ensure that this was real. It was; my violet eyes gave way to the confusion and melted into happiness in my reflection. "You're amazing."

"It helps that you're so pretty," Cecelia smiled as she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"And you're actually fun to work with," Diana added.

"What do you mean by that?" I giggled.

"Oh, well, some of the maids are complaining about their selected getting a little... Aggressive. She almost hit my sister a few times, and she's her maid. We go through so much to do the best we can for you all."

"I can't put into words how much I appreciate you girls," I said with a wavering voice.

"It's almost time for you to go," Mary said sadly.

Time for your debut. Go show off all of my hard work," Diana smiled. I swatted her shoulder before pulling the three of them into a hug.

They practically pushed me out of the door, sending me on my way. I grabbed my skirts and ran to the stairwell, which I used a bit more caution going down in my heels. As I reached the bottom of the stairwell, a hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a closet.

Even in the darkness, I could tell who it was. "Nathan," I sighed. "They're probably waiting for me."

"Then let them wait a little longer," he smirked. "You know, I'm going out there too."

"You are?" I said surprised.

"Yeah. I'm Royal blood now, don't you know," he smiled wider. He pulled me in for a kiss, which I returned quickly.

"We could get in so much trouble if we get caught," I huffed. I knew it was wrong, but I wasn't going to neglect the feelings I had for Nathan.

"You needed to know how beautiful you look," he said. "Now go. Save a dance for me out there, ok?"

"Yeah, definitely," I smiled. I kissed his cheek and turned towards the door.

"See you inside, Princess," he winked.

I blushed at the sound of my nicknamed that I once scorned. I shook my head as I straightened my skirt and went to the doors where the other five elite waited. Leila and Kiara were talking to each other, and Opal and Pepper were discussing the movements for the Illèan Waltz.

"Hey," Danielle greeted.

I was taken aback slightly at her friendly greeting. "Hi," I said unsurely.

"Relax, I'm not entirely evil. Not to family anyway," she smiled. She smiled at me. Danielle Nicholas, the wicked witch, smiled at me. "They're going to announce you, so be sure to walk slow. You're last, I believe, after me."

"Thanks," I murmured. Brenda cleared her throat at the doors and gathered our attention. She looked amazing with her curled strawberry blonde hair and black trumpet ballgown. She was young and beautiful, and it made me wonder how old she really was.

"Ladies! Now, you're going to go in there and have fun, but be sure to be ready for the Illèan Waltz! Now get in order. Opal, you're up first."

We all went to line up in the order we were supposed to, with me in the back. Opal stepped out, and I heard her name being called loudly. My breathing started to quicken as we all moved forward one step.

Kiara went out, her blue dress fluttering behind her. Her name was trumpeted out across the ballroom as she entered. The doors closed again, and we all took another step forward. My palms grew a little sweaty.

Pepper went out there, a perfect bounce in her step. Her black hair has flowing behind her as she waved at the crowds before the door shut yet again. I heard her name get called. I ran a hand through my curls.

Leila was next. She straightened her skirts and pushed a few stray hairs out of her face as she went into the opening doors. Her name was belted out, and she gave a proud smile. The doors closed, leaving Danielle and I alone. I calmed the goosebumps on my arms.

"Good luck, Elisa," Danielle wished softly. I gave her a smile and returned the comment. The fins of her mermaid dress fluttered out behind her, and she held her head tall as she strode into the room before the doors closed.

I felt my knees buckle and shook out my hands. I released a breath and readied myself. Then the doors opened, and I plastered a smile across my face. I walked into the ornate ballroom, scanning the crowds for a familiar face.

"Lady Elisa Talia Carams of Hampton!"