Chapter 21

We came back inside when it was time for dinner. I took my seat next to Marlee, and we started eating. It was extremely quiet since there were now less than usual since the elimination.

"Ladies," America addressed us. "We are so fortunate to have you all here with us. But, this is a warning. Being a Queen is no easy task, and you're going to begin preparing to become one. Now, we have much to do this week. There's a ball in precisely one week, a photo shoot of the Elite on Monday, an event on Wednesday, and then there's the Report on Friday. I look forward to seeing your progress these next few weeks."

She and Maxon left the dining hall. I was about to excuse myself when Marlee grabbed my forearm. "Hey, come to my room tonight after you get ready for bed, ok?" She smiled.

"Sure," I responded. This made me eager to finish getting ready for bed.

I got back up to my bedroom to see my maids stocking my closet. They had to empty it out while I was gone, in case I never came back. I took a quick shower and put a nightgown over my head. I braided my hair and brushed my teeth. Before opening the doors to leave, I put on my thin robe and white slippers.

"I'll be back later," I told Mary. "I'm going to see Marlee," I explained, not wanting them to think I was going to Aaron at this hour.

She nodded her head, and I was on my way. I got to her bedroom and told the guard I was invited here, and he let me through. Marlee was putting her tiara in a case and putting her hair into a ponytail.

"Hey," she greeted. "That was fast."

"I don't waste time," I said. I sat down in one of her chairs. "What did you need to see me about?"

As I finished my question, Olivia came into the room. Her long blonde hair was as long as mine, flowing to her hips. She wore pajamas and held a fluffy pillow. "I'm ready for the sleepover," she announced.

"Sleepover?" I questioned.

"Yeah," Marlee said sheepishly. "I wanted to catch up with you."

"Happy late birthday, Olivia. I'm sorry I missed it," I said guiltily.

"I'm surprised you remembered!" She gasped. "Thanks!"

"No problem," I shrugged.

We spent the whole night talking. Apparently, Marlee had a crush on the Italian Prince, Lucca, while Olivia wouldn't even speak a word about hers. I was braiding her long, beautiful hair into a Dutch braid.

"Tell us, please!" I pleaded.

The fifteen year old girl began to budge. "I just met him today," she giggled. "He seems nice enough. He was new at the palace, and he didn't seem to have many friends," she gushed.

"What's his name?" Marlee said, bouncing excitedly.

"I don't know," she said, fiddling with her pillow.

"You have a crush, but you don't know his name?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'll find out eventually! It's not like I'm preparing to be future Queen of Illèa slash Italy!" She laughed.

I leaned back on Marlee's headboard laughing. Marlee herself had fallen off of the bed, lying on the ground howling with laughter. Olivia buried her face in the pillow, hiding from us.

Suddenly, the door bursted open. Aaron and Maxon stood by the doorframe with a worried expressions. Aaron caught my gaze and became very confused. "Lady Elisa?" He said unsurely.

"Hi," I said sheepishly. I wanted to crawl under this majestic King-sized bed as of right now. Instead, I found comfort in Marlee's purple sheets.

"What's going on?" Maxon asked sternly.

"Daddy, we were having a sleepover with Elisa. You know, since she was kidnapped?" Marlee said, as if it were completely obvious.

"Maxon, honey what's going on?" America asked tiredly. She appeared in Marlee's room too, her red hair falling over her shoulders. She even looked regal when she just woke up. "Lady Elisa?" She said surprisedly.

"Oh my god," Marlee groaned. "We're having a sleepover for female royalty and future royalty," she glanced at me,"under the age of eighteen. Olivia told us about a guy she has a crush on, and that's why we were laughing."

"Marlee!" Olivia and I both shrieked in unison. Olivia yelled for ratting her out about her crush, and I yelled because she referred to me as future royalty.

"Who's this boy?" Maxon demanded. I suppressed a smile at his papa-bear attitude.

"She doesn't know," Marlee replied for her. Olivia rolled off of the bed and out of sight.

"Ok," America sighed. "Let's leave the female royalty and future royalty to their sleepover," she said, pushing Aaron and Maxon out. She snuck a look back at me and winked. I could hear Aaron complaining before the door shut.

"I can't believe you told them!" Olivia said with her head in her hands.

"And you said I was future royalty!" I added.

"It's high time you embraced it," she said jokingly.

The rest of the night we whispered quietly with a single candle burning. We all lie in the King bed, under the sheets and comforter. I was squished in the middle, but I didn't mind because I was insured with having covers at all times.

"Hey, Elisa?" Marlee asked me after Olivia had fallen asleep.

"Yeah?" I whispered.

"Do you love that guy you were supposed to marry?"

I swallowed. "Can I be brutally honest?" She looked at me, and I could see her nod in the dim candle light.

"I think I do. I know I shouldn't say it, but he was so kind to me. He defended me, and he was one of the only people that treated me like a person while I was gone. He helped me grow more confident, and I learned that he has had a pretty rough life, too. We helped each other."

"Why did he want to come with you?"

"His mom died at his father's hand. He wanted to escape with me and Harrison. He helped us escape, actually."

"Oh," she said understandingly. "But what about Aaron?"

"Aaron," I sighed. "Aaron is amazing. I love him so much, it hurts me. He does little things that I love, and they drive me crazy. He's funny, kind, honest- everything I've ever expected. But loving two people makes me feel like my love is cheap and meaningless. I don't deserve either of them."

"I'm not sure about that. Aaron was pretty pitiful when you were gone."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"He was almost depressed, I would say. He wasn't as active as he was. Maybe it's just my imagination."

I nodded my head, not even thinking that I could have that big of an impact on his life. "You're probably right."

"Night, Elisa."

"Goodnight, Marlee."

She blew out the candle, clouding me in darkness. The only difference with this darkness was that I knew the sun would rise, and I'd see the light again.