Epilogue (1/2)

Shinobu found it hard to believe seven years had passed since the slayer Corps was disbanded. The memories of those times felt like just yesterday as her eyes scanned the yard.

"It's time for dinner!" She called out.

The little girl stopped playing with her toys as she looked towards the voice calling her.

She ran over after seeing who it was.

Shinobu grabbed onto her little hand as she lead her back inside to the dinner table.

She was a beautiful little girl only 6 years of age, her smile so bright it could only be compared to the sun itself.

"Tsutako, go sit down please." She said in the way only a mother could.

The girl was named after her late aunt.

She complied to her mother's demands as she pulled out a chair and sat down.

Shinobu brought over a plate of food for her before bringing over her own as she too sat down at the dinner table.

"Be careful, it's hot." She warned.

The little girl nodded in understanding as she blew on her food.

Shinobu eyed her so intently, every day she grew it only reminded her more and more of him.

She pressed the hand that had her ring against her chest as she remembered his promise.

"For the rest of my life." His words played back in her head, a bittersweet memory of a different time.

Shinobu could never forget the promise she made to the man she loved all those years ago.

She watched contently as her little girl finished eating her food before she slide the plate back over.

"More!" She said with a smile.

Shinobu didn't decline her little sunshine's request as she got up.

Tsutako was so much like him, her mannerisms, her attitude, her looks. It was surprising how little her own daughter even looked like her.

She was the spitting image of her father.

The only things Shinobu seemingly passed down were her hair color and sleeping habits. She even retained her father's fluffy matted hair.

Shinobu cut up the chunks of food into smaller pieces before sliding the plate back over.

Tsutako's control over her utensils was clunky, she was still learning how to properly use them on her own.

Shinobu watched her daughter enjoy the meal with that child like smile of hers. The happiness of a parent watching their child was an inexplicable feeling.

The meal continued on relatively quietly all up until the sliding door behind her opened.

The footsteps of a person came closer and closer before stopping right behind Shinobu's chair.

A set of large arms wrapped around her lovingly.

"I'm home." He said to the two as he looked across the table to his daughter.

"Papa!" The little girl immediately stopped what she was doing and got up before running over to him.

She went to go give him her small little hug.

Giyuu instantly picked her up into his arms.

"Look who it is! Were you enjoying a meal without me!" He teased his little one.

"No!" The little girl giggled in response as she was spun around in her father's arms.

Shinobu got up as she looked at the two.

"Welcome home, Giyuu." She said with a loving smile.

He stopped spinning Tsutako for a second as he reached his other arm over and pulled Shinobu in as well.

"Papa's home." He announced to the two as he held them tight.

He set down his little girl as he crouched down and wiped a small piece of food off her face.

"Look at you being so messy." He said in a kind fatherly voice.

"Papa, sit next me!" She said cheerily.

Giyuu simply couldn't decline his little one's request when she asked him that cutely.

"I will." He said as he ruffled her hair slightly.

This little girl with her bright smiles and joyful faces was his world.

"There's food for you in the kitchen." Shinobu whispered to him.

"Thank you." He said quietly as he gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Giyuu stepped out of the room only briefly before returning with his own plate.

He pulled up a chair and sat down next to his little one as she smiled at him.

He was the last one to eat but still finished quickly.

It was starting to get late, the increasingly tired girl yawned as she finished her meal.

"Are you sleepy?" Giyuu said picking her up and placing her on his lap.

The little yawn she did only confirming so.

Tsutako although full of energy and always willing to play was like any other kid in this regard. Once her energy was depleted she would soon be out like a light.

"I'll put her to bed." Shinobu said as she finished cleaning up the table.

Giyuu played with her hair a little more. The small butterfly hair clip she wore being so reminiscent of the one her mother used to wear years ago.

Shinobu picked up her tired little girl out of his arms.

"Alright, I'll go take a bath." He said quietly as he got up.

Their daughter nearly fell asleep in her mother's arms as she was placed down on the bed.

Shinobu crawled inside as she pulled the covers overtop them.

"Good night......my love." She said sweetly as she kissed her daughter's forehead.

The two laid down together for 20 minutes before he returned.

As Giyuu stepped in the room he noticed not one, but two people in bed. His daughter asleep flat on her back in the middle and his wife cuddled against her to the right.

He smiled as he walked over and got onto the other side of the bed before crawling in.

He reached across pulling both of them closer to him.

Shinobu's sleepy eyes looking at him in the barely lit room.

"Giyuu...." She said faintly with a small half smile.

He smiled as Shinobu said his name.

She was his wife, the mother to their child, and the woman who had forever changed his life.

"Papa...." The little girl said softly as she rolled over and reached for him.

"Go to sleep.....I'm here now." He said in a whisper as he rubbed her head soothingly.

The little girl instantly fell back asleep in her father's arms.

Not one day went by where he didn't think of these two.

Their smiles and love were all he needed, they were his family, the ones he loved most.

As he closed his eyes nothing but pure joy filled his heart.

This was his life, the one he fought with ever ounce of his being to protect.

This was his 2nd chance.