Part 37

(Somewhere earlier with the flame pillar)

Rengoku ran quickly to the sounds of other slayers' screams.

They were only a little bit ahead of him now, he came skidding to a halt as he entered a large odd room.

He scanned his surroundings carefully as he searched for where the screams he heard were, but they no longer sounded out.

There was a huge square hallway on the other side of the room opposite from him.

Yet he couldn't see down that hallway, it was pitch black, only being illuminated by sparks of lightning?

A singular pair of heavy footsteps could be heard approaching closer.

Rengoku stepped a few feet into the room stopping as he drew his blade to the possible oncoming threat, whatever or who ever it may be.

Rengoku had ran in circles trying to find even one other slayer or demon, but it useless, he hadn't found anyone yet.

It was likely that he was spilt up and dropped far away from the others into this hell like fortress of repeating hallways and rooms.

A singular thing stepped out of the darkness, blade drawn and ready.

Rengoku noticed it quickly, that was the uniform the slayers wore, but the bloodstains and demonic smile he saw clued him in to what this creature was.

"Oh look, another one." The demon said as it stopped in it's tracks.

Rengoku read the kanji on the demon's eyeball.

"Upper moon 5"

"I just got done killing your friends." The demon announced.

It was silent as Rengoku stared down the upper moon.

"Wait! I know who you are!"

"You're the flame pillar, Kyojuro Rengoku." The demon said with high enthusiasm.

"How do you know my name." Rengoku said calmly.

"Well I'm Upper moon 5, Kiagaku, it's nice to meet you." The moon said with a smirk.

"You'll be my first hashira kill of the day, I just got done killing your fodder slayers a few moments ago."

"I must say, they looked scared to death when I slashed their throats, yet you look so fierce."

"I like the enthusiasm, let's see if you can keep it up."

Rengoku had heard enough.

The arrogance and complete disregard for human life pissed him off.

The flame pillar bolted into action, but right before he could get close enough to strike it hit him.

The demon was standing still with its blade in one hand stabbed into the ground, yet he was smiling devilishly.

"Gotcha." It proclaimed with a smile.

Rengoku had failed to notice it, those small metallic circles on the ground all over the room weren't just a simple esthetically choice.

The entire room was filled with these same copper circles meant to conduct the demon's lightning attacks, and Rengoku had just stepped in one.

Kiagaku pulled his blade back out of the ground and swung it straight towards the pillar's neck.

Rengoku's entire body was going haywire, the electrical shock he received was extremely powerful.

Every muscle in his body had tensed up and his arms and leg muscles were spasming like crazy.