Part 35.5

The entire day she was really quiet, Shinobu didn't once talk to him about that thing he asked about.

He spooned the little woman affectionately as they lay beside each other, yet she wasn't very reciprocative today.

"Shinobu, are you mad at me?"

"What? No Giyuu."

She still didn't even so much as turn to face him or acknowledgeable the uncomfortable silence between them.

Although his question did make her feel a bit guilty which spurred her tongue to finally move and for her voice to pipe up.

"Giyuu, tomorrow in the morning I have to go somewhere, I won't see you for weeks, or longer."

"Why?"

She placed her hands over the arms that wrapped around her so lovingly.

"There's someone I have to go help, she's very important to our cause."

"I'll be with her for a while."

She didn't like it either but that's what they had to do.

"I understand."

She was going to be gone a while, it was likely something to do with the master's orders.

There wasn't anything he could do but accept it.

Shinobu turned over on her other side to face him.

She looked into his saddened eyes, her faint forced smile told him she didn't like being apart just as much as he did.

"You'll be gone tomorrow." Giyuu said with a small hint of pain in his dampened tone.

"I'm sorry Giyuu." She said half apologizing but not being able to make it sound right.

His eyes said a thousand words all at once, everything he didn't say explicitly was told through his facial expression.

"I'm not sure when I'll see you again." Shinobu started to speak.

"It won't be long, please Giyuu, just-...."

Her voice ceased as her expression looked more annoyed and a bit frustrated if only at her circumstances.

She spontaneous hugged onto his torso as she cuddled up to him more than before. This entire awkward conversation as to why she had to not see him for so long was what she was trying to avoid all day.

"I know, responsibilities." Giyuu interjected in a monotone voice clearly showing his discontent with having he gone.

"Giyuu, when I get back I promise we'll-.... we'll spend as much time as you want together, how does that sound?" Shinobu proposed the idea halfheartedly. Their situation simply didn't allow for such a promise to be so easily upheld or earnestly spoke .

Giyuu looked into her eyes making sure to get a good look into them. He could see the the guilt and blankness behind their quiet pensive stare at him.

This wasn't easy on her just as it wasn't easy for him, he understood that now seeing her slightly distant gaze.

Giyuu didn't like it, but it had to be done, and making her feel guilty or badgered about it wasn't what he wanted.

He slowly kissed her forehead before closing his eyes.

"Shinobu, you'll need to sleep first. How else will you hold that promise for me." Giyuu said in a quiet voice as she closed her eyes with a smile.

The sense of reassurance that he was providing helped her hold that conviction and will to continue on with her duty just a little more.