Chapter 56

Luca

We've just left the city behind us, the road in front of us wide open. Actually, the road is jammed, but you know what I mean. We spent the entire morning walking around the city. We did most of the tourist spots yesterday already so now I showed Skylar some of the places that are most special to me in the city. Places that carry memories from my childhood and my family.

We hit traffic as soon as we got out of the city, but I guess that's what you can expect mid-summer. Normally the drive only takes a little over an hour but I think today it'll take at least double. Luckily we have plenty of time before nonnina expects us.

With the windows rolled down and the music blasting through the small speakers we make the most of it. Singing along to the songs on the radio, talking about whatever we happen to see outside. Making up stories for the people in the other cars. I actually don't mind the traffic and the delay. It gives me some extra time with Skylar before nonnina is all over us.

"All right, what about them?"

"He's definitely regretting getting in the car with screaming kids in the middle of the summer."

"And she's wondering if she can just leave her nagging husband alone with the kids and get out of the car."

"And that guy definitely looks like he's late for a date."

"None of them seem to be having fun as much as we are."

"I feel sorry for them. They really should learn to make the most of their time."

"And choose better travel partners."

Slowly we get further away from the energy of the city and into the calm of the countryside. The further south we get, the fewer cars there are on the road. Usually, my favourite part about this drive is the calmness of this road. As we get closer to Anzio I can already smell the saltiness in the air telling me the ocean is just on the other side of these fields.

"Alright, one last time. Tell me everything I need to know."

"Nonnina, her name is Rosa, she loves cooking and always sings when she does. Never ask her about her age, or else you'll get a ladle thrown at your head. She'll try to feed you every chance she gets and she doesn't take no for an answer. Nonno's name was Roberto and nonnina loves talking about him and about when they were young." He gets a huge smile on his face as he talks about his grandparents. "The town isn't too big. Coloured buildings line the small streets and there are restaurants and ice cream parlours everywhere you look. The ocean and the beach are amazing, cliffs lining the coast. I can't even do it justice describing it. You'll have to see it for yourself the next few days."

Once we leave the main road the ocean starts coming into view. The familiarity of the road and the buildings immediately make me feel at home. In this town everyone knows me, but not the way people do in London. Here they know nonna. They know that lovely lady who always invites people to dinner. Who always stop to talk to neighbours to gossip or gush about their kids and grandkids.

Every time I walk around the town people greet me and ask how nonna is doing and to tell her they say hi. They don't care that I'm that actor from that movie. They probably don't even know that I am an actor and I kind of like that about these people.

We continue to drive for a few more minutes. The ride isn't very smooth, the roads here are old and there are cracks all over the roads. I drive through the small ally that leads to nonna's house. The street is just wide enough to fit a car, brick walls lining both sides. Not too many people use this road since it only leads to the backsides of three houses. Nonna always insists I park here, afraid that something will happen to the car if I park on the street out front. I don't mind, as long as she's happy.

"Caro! You're here! Come on, come on!" I haven't even turned the engine off before nonna is running out of the house. She flies into my arms as soon as I step out of the car. "Caro! Never stay away this long again, my boy. You're too busy if you don't have time to come visit your nonna."

"It's good to see you again, nonnina. I'm happy to be back here."

"Ah caro, introduce me to the pretty lady already."

"Nonnina, this is Skylar. Skylar, this is my nonnina, Rosa."

"Cara mia, you're a beautiful young lady."

"It's nice to meet your Mrs.-"

"Don't be silly, dear. You can call me nonna or Rosa but no formalities in my house." She wraps Sky in a tight hug with a huge smile on her face. I think she likes Sky, just a wild guess.

"Now come on in, the food is almost ready and I want to hear all about how my Luca wowed you. Oh, and I have so many stories for you, cara mia. That boy was a funny kid, I tell you that."

What is it with people always telling Skylar awkward stories about me?