Chapter 5

I've been looking at the clock all morning. I can't wait until it's 11 a.m. so I can finally leave work. There are a lot of people out in the city this Saturday morning, many people still waiting in line until they can order their drink and I know for sure that my boss won't let me leave work early. I keep on thinking about where Luca will be taking me. He told me to take a subway to Monument station. I know it's close to the Shard, The London Bridge, the Tower of London and The Tower Bridge, but I can't imagine he will take me to any of those tourist hotspots on a Saturday afternoon. It's March, so tourists are everywhere in the city. All you see on the streets are selfie sticks. At the coffee shop, it's always very noticeable when the season starts again. The coffee shop turns into a place-to-be for the best Instagram pictures. The place is full of all kind of plants and flowers, which makes it a very cosy place to sit, but apparently also an ideal location for pictures. I started coming here because one of my friends told me they have the best caramel macchiatos in the city and she wasn't lying. I loved coming here as a customer so much that I ended up getting a job here as well.

Finally, my boss tells me that I can leave and I almost run out of the shop as soon as I gathered all of my stuff. I'm super excited to see Luca again, but I'm also very nervous. Normally I'm not the social type and I often find it hard to talk to people I don't know. That first day I ran into Luca I didn't seem to be bothered by it as much, but maybe that was because I didn't expect to run into him. On the phone and over text we get along perfectly, having plenty to talk about but actually meeting feels so much more important. Compared to that first time, today I know what will happen, actually I don't know, but I do know that I will see him in just a couple of minutes.

It doesn't take me long to get to Monument, now I just need to find Luca. There are a lot of people outside the station. I glance at my phone to see if Luca sent me a text about where to go next. He did text me but it just reads: 'You look nice today'.

I look up to see if I can spot him somewhere. If he can see me, I must be able to see him, right? Scanning the crowd across the street, I finally spot him. He's wearing the same cap he wore the other day, I must admit that cap suits him very well. He is one of those people that manages to look amazing without trying. If I go outside without trying to fix my hair and put on at least a little concealer, I look like I came straight from a zombie movie.

I quickly cross the street and walk to where Luca is waiting for me. I am greeted with a big smile, a smile that makes my own lips tug upwards as well. Damn, how does he do that? Every time he smiles, My whole body goes weak, my breathing just a bit more ragged. Every single time. I hope I get used to it soon otherwise he will have to carry me home. Although I think he would be perfectly capable to do so, he looks so brawny. I glace at his biceps, his muscles flexing as he readjusts his cap. He must be doing this on purpose, he has to know that this is every girl's weakness. I never thought I would be this superficial, but just the sight of his muscles has me drooling.

"Are you done staring at me?" I'm immediately brought back to reality at his remark. I didn't even notice that I started staring at him, my eyes roaming every feature of him. Hesitantly I apologise.

"It's fine. As long as you like what you see." My face must be as red as the traffic lights by now. Oh god. Why am I always so awkward? He sounds so confident and I'm just standing next to him with my flashy red cheeks. I hope he doesn't notice. Who am I kidding, of course he noticed my face changing colour.

"We have to go this way. First, we need to get some food." Okay, that sounds good. I like plans that involve food.

We walk down the street until we reach a Tesco. We both pick some cakes and pastries and we each get a coffee from the Costa machine inside the store. I insist on paying for my own things. Not wanting him to think that I'm using him in any way.

"Where are we going? I didn't expect you to be someone that goes to tourist attractions on a Saturday."

"I'm not. But there is someplace close where I don't expect many if any tourists. Most people have no idea it even exists. I only found out about it a few years ago, and I've lived in London all my life."

"You're making me curious." We walk next to each other without saying much. Somehow, the silence doesn't feel uncomfortable. Almost as if we've already gotten comfortable enough with each other to just enjoy the other's presence without needing to fill it with words. I'm surprised no one recognises Luca or the people here must be used to celebrities walking around. I take this opportunity and shoot my shot to ask him about it.

"We're in the business district, so there probably won't be a lot of young adult movie fans here. When I walk on Oxford Street or something it's different. Especially when the movie just started showing in theatres. That's why I avoid those places whenever I can." Wow, it must be really hard not to be able to go anywhere without getting recognised, not being able to go anywhere without thinking it through first. "Don't get me wrong, I love my fans. Without them, I wouldn't be where I am today. But sometimes it just gets a little too much." I can only imagine. What I love most about being in this big city is the independence people seem to have. Being among so many people and still being able to go freely.

As we were talking we reached a gate. Behind it I can see the most beautiful garden around the ruins of a church. It is quite isolated, surrounded by modern buildings like offices and hotels. That must be the reason why not many people find this place. We walk inside, and the garden keeps surprising me. Walls once hosting a church inside, now covered with plants. A gem hidden in the middle of London's centre. It is all so beautiful. I know right away that this will be my new favourite spot.