Chapter 31

Luca

About a month ago mum set up this meeting with some people from her network. They want me to do a photoshoot and an interview for a magazine. Both the modelling agency and my management are super eager to make this work. I never asked for a management team, but mum thought it to be absolutely necessary. They insist I need to attract new media attention because after my role in Unexpected Love over a year ago the media hectic around me is starting to calm down. Personally, I really enjoy my life to be a little calmer again, but my management acts like it will be the end of the fucking world if I don't get new publicity soon. The modelling agency just wants more publicity so they can get more jobs for their other models as well.

All of this craziness has me and mum sitting in some fancy restaurant for a very overpriced lunch with apparently very important people. Who wants to pay over 40 pounds for a simple dish? Everything on the menu is vegan and I'm totally fine with other people eating vegan but I prefer not to, I guess I don't have a choice today. Mum orders some so-called healthy juice, looking at food and drinks on the other tables I decide to stick with water since they don't even serve coffee.

Mum demanded I be all dressed up for this meeting, so here I am. Wearing a pair of fancy and very uncomfortable trousers and a bottom-down shirt. I already miss my jeans and t-shirt. Mum is wearing her regular attire, a dress and way too high heels. Her hair looks like it could survive a tornado and her makeup is just a little too much for my liking. Clearly, she really wants to impress these people.

We are joined by four people. Alice, someone from my management; Josh from the modelling agency; and two women I don't know. I assume they are from the magazine. Everyone seems to know each other and they start catching up on the latest news and gossip in the industry. I never understood how people can care this much about other people's lives. Who gained half a pound? Who was caught cheating? I seriously couldn't care less. Why should I be interested in the personal lives of people I don't even know? I start eating some of the vegan snacks they just put on the table while the others discuss all of their business. At least the snacks keep me occupied for now.

"Sydney should be here any minute now, then we can start discussing the interview and the shoot." Apparently, we need another person before we can discuss the deal. Why couldn't this just be done in an office in less than half the time?

Within a few minutes, a woman around my age walks to our table. She definitely doesn't look like she belongs to a management or agency team. She has an arrogant air around her and I immediately get the feeling we won't get along.

"Sydney, great that you could join us today."

"Let's discuss the interviews and pictures of you two."

"I'm sorry, but of us two? I think I missed something here." Josh and all the ladies look very much surprised. My mother looks embarrassed. I can't help it, no one told me I was going to do all of this together with someone.

"Luca, dear. I told you about Sydney, remember?" Mum clearly never did, but I let it slide for now. I'm still hoping someone will explain to me what the idea of all of this is because suddenly I'm no longer in the mood for this meeting.

"You will both do an interview about what it's like to be a model and we'll have you do a shoot together. We will also make some individual shots, but mainly the two of you together."

Great. Just great. Not only do I have to sit here with miss arrogant, but I also have to work with her. In the few minutes she has been here she hasn't even looked at me once. I just want this meeting to be over. I want to go and see what Skylar is doing. I haven't seen her in a few days because she has been crazy busy with her exams. We text each other most of the day usually but it isn't the same. I want to have her next to me, I want to smell her coconut-scented shampoo while I hold her body close to mine, our limbs tangled together. Now I miss her even more. I never thought I would be a clingy boyfriend but when it comes to Skylar I don't want to be away from her, ever.

Alice, Josh and Kate, who turns out to be Sydney's manager, discuss all the details. I still don't see the point of me having to join this meeting. They could have just emailed me the details and I wouldn't have to dread working together with miss arrogant.

Walking out of the restaurant mum gets all chatty with Sydney. Leave I to my mother to love the one person I can't stand. I've never heard of Sydney, but they say she is one of the most promising rising stars in the industry. It's typical for Ella Bianchi to socialise with everyone who can bring her brand more popularity. Mum used to be a model when she was younger, but after Adrina was born she got more into the fashion industry. Now she has her own brand, which turned out to be a worldwide success.

Mum tries to start a conversation with me and Sydney, but I show the least interest in it as possible. I stay polite by answering a few questions, of course using as few words as possible. I only dare to breathe once I get in a taxi to take me back home, I can't wait to change out of these clothes and get back in some joggers and a jumper. If I get lucky Skylar will take the evening off studying and we can spend some time together and I can forget all about this lunch.