3 x Being Vulnerable

Cynatra had been staying with Juan for two days. The awkwardness of the first night lingered over her head. She for the most part tried to create a distance after being so vulnerable. As of now, Juan handled Round 1 business from the living room as she relaxed in his bedroom, watching tv.

It was nearing 4 PM and the work day would be considered over. Cynatra was bored. This would be the most consistent human interaction she's had since James passed and it was due to Juan's persistence.

He wanted to be there for her and she realized that. Accepting it was the problem though.

Granted her relationship with her cousins improved and there was nothing for the family to be fighting over, as of now. She still had the spaces of her life closed off except for one.

"Amor! How you feel about going to my ma's house?"

He had been calling her that too. He said how is the real grinch of the world born on the most loving holiday?

"What I tell you about calling me that? What are you yelling about?" She entered the living room to see him fully. He had been in his usual laid back attire, sweat pants, this time sporting a wife beater, showcasing his tattoos. She hadn't noticed before but there were a lot more than she remembered.

"I said how you feel about going to mama's for dinner? She's been asking about you."

Cynatra smiled she loved Patricia Toscano. If anyone was a mother figure to her outside of Aunt Jannelle, it was her.

"Of course, you know that's my girl."
"You're nicer to her than you are to me, that's crazy."

Cyn shrugged as she took a Dorito from his plate. "Now what I tell you about doing that?"

"You not gonna do a thing about it so I'll keep doing it. Matter of fact give me another one." She reached for another chip and he grabbed her hand.

"Boy gimme a chip."
"No."

Cynatra squinted at him before softening her face to smile at him. He looked at her strangely, "Whatever you about to try, don't. I know that look."

She always had to get her way and in this instance she would be getting these chips.

"Roro, why aren't you sharing with me?" She batted her eyelashes sitting on the table in front of him.

"Amor, I'm asking you nicely. Move your ass off my table and leave my chips alone."

They had a stared down until Juan winked grabbing another chip, placing it in his mouth. She huffed, wanting nothing more than to wipe that smug look from his face. She eyed the bag and before she fully thought about her plan, she snatched it and ran into his room.

She didn't anticipate him catching up to her so quickly or the wind being knocked out of her, but it happened.

"Ouch!" She grumbled clutching her side.

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry!" Juan cursed, he realized too late that he tackled someone with bruised ribs.

"I'll be back." Her heated waist wrap was in the bathroom charging. Quickly grabbing it, Juan returned into his room to put it on her.

He lifted her shirt to see that the swelling had went down a bit but the discoloration was still apparent.

"Can you reach the soothing cream or you need me to get it?" She looked up and saw it on the nightstand, after attempting to reach for it and failing she dropped her arm back on the bed.

Juan grabbed it, opening the small cap to squeeze the contents out. Eyeballing a nice sized amount into his hand, he rubbed them together to them massage her sides and what bruising covered her rib cage.