55 x Meet the Andersons

"Amor, you ready to go?" Juan asked entering the conference room she was sitting in. She had been using the room as a set up for a business plan, which as of right now, all over the place.

"What time is it?" She didn't bother looking up, she was focused on a chart. "It's going on 6:00. The game starts at 7:15." Juan walked over, taking the papers from her hand. "You've been working hard all day, it's time to go."

Cynatra deeply sighed, not feeling contentment with her work. "Avery is so lucky I love him, or else I would be staying here."

"Damn, you not gonna go cause I asked?"
"You done being cranky with me?"

"I wasn't being cranky with you." Cynatra laughed, "The lies you tell. Let's hurry up, cause I want the nachos from the concessions stand."

Juan's hand rested on Cynatra's thigh as he drove the three of them to the game. "You good back there Ave?"

"Yeah Cyn, you got any snacks in that bag?"

Cynatra had all the snacks but she knew he didn't need anything bad before the game. She handed him carrots and celery. "You got that ranch and bleu cheese double cup?"

She handed over a container with both sauces. "You the goat."

The rest of the ride was in a comfortable silence. When they arrived to the school they were going against, the parking lot was more packed than usual. "Is it always like this here?" Cyn asked.

"Nah, but since they going against us, it makes sense. You know grams and Uncle Stacy gonna be here tonight."

Evelyn and Stacy Anderson were two of the people from their father's family they communicated with regularly.

"Damn, I ain't talk to grams in awhile."
"Yeah, you been neglecting her, she is so pissed with you."

Juan wiped his hands over his face as he stood in the parking lot. Avery ran ahead to join his team for warm ups. "When's the last time you spoke to Ms. Evelyn?" Cynatra adjusted the collar of his polo.

"Before I got signed." She slapped his chest, "That's too damn long ago. Stop punishing your grand mother for her son's actions."

"Don't start that."

"No, YOU don't start that. I let you have a few days to get yourself together but Juan, not talking to your grandma for months is not good. She's the only one you got left. You don't have time for regrets. After today you're gonna start talking to her regularly."

"Okay mom." He grumbled. She lightly grabbed his chin, "You acting cute and I'm the one that's not playing. Now let's go sit down cause I'm not standing this whole game."

They walked into the gym and could see this place was over capacity. "Aye!" Andrew caught their attention immediately. Juan could see his mother, brother, uncle and grandma sitting together.

No one had bad blood with anyone but Antonio.

"Look at my grandson, the superstar, the one who doesn't know how to pick up the phone. Y'all see him?" Juan shook his head walking right into his grandmother's arms. She held him tight. "I forgive you boy, don't let it happen no more."

He kissed her on the cheek and held onto her a little longer before pulling away.  "Grams, you remember Cynatra right?"

"How could I forget this beautiful young lady? You still giving the boys hell?" She joked hugging Cynatra. "No ma'am, only this one." She pointed to Juan.

"Don't let her lie to you, they still be chasing after her."

"And you be chasing them away, yeah I know." Evelyn looked at them up and down. "And y'all fast asses is the reason I dreamt of them fishes too."

"At this point I think y'all smell it on me, sheesh." Cynatra played with the end of her ponytail. "Boy you out here unloading the clip I see."

Uncle Stacy was blunt, he was the comedy in the family and that's where Andrew and Avery got it from, they just didn't know when to quit.

"Stacy mind your manners, you talking about them like they not kin, cut it out." Evelyn slapped her youngest son's shoulder.

"Ma, why you looking like that?" Juan asked sitting next to Patricia. "You know why, we'll talk later."

"They not calling them fouls at all!" Andrew yelled as Avery went face first and not a whistle was blown. "They be treating my boy like they treat Steph." Cynatra rolled her eyes.

"Lemme get a nacho."
"I shouldn't, but I'll be nice." Cynatra dipped the tortilla in cheese before handing it over to him. "These fucking people keep looking over here, I wanna say something."

Juan looked around noticing there were people casually looking. He didn't care, he expected it, especially in this neighborhood. "Let em stare."

"There's a camera coming towards you too." Cynatra wiped her mouth, preparing for people to invade their space. As in cue, a camera and a reporter approached Juan.

"Hey, do you mind if we give a quick interview?" The young girl asked. "With who?" Juan asked, he didn't want to assume it was for him.

"The both of you, but just one would be fine."
"Huh?" Cynatra looked up from her phone. "Y'all wanna talk to me too?"

"I'm actually a huge fan Ms. Allen. I've been following you for the last three years. My cousin has a membership to Round 1 and I go on his guest pass sometimes."

"Sometimes?"

"Yeah, I don't qualify for the In the Town membership because I live right outside of it. And he doesn't live in it either but he's old, he's got money to pay for a full membership."

Cynatra had been wondering why the charts in membership had changed, and this was the answer. "What's your name?"

"Danisha Cruz. That's D-A-N-I-S-H-A." Cynatra typed the young girl's name in to her phone. "What's your email? The personal one." Danisha reciting her email and thirty seconds later her phone pinged.

"Oh my God!"

"And you also have access to our shuttles, I wanna see you sometime next week in the gym." Juan smiled at the interaction, one of the things he loved about Cynatra, she was a woman for the people.

"Thank you so much! We don't even have to do the interview. You've done enough." Cyn placed her hand out, "No, you'll get your interview with the both of us. And if you show up next week, I'll give you my first exclusive."

"Wait, me? Like not ESPN, Not NBA Today, Sportscenter, NBC Bay Area? But me?"

"Yes you. We need more women, more black women, more minorities in sports."

Avery finished the game with 26 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal. They were proud of their little point guard. "You think he's gonna follow you to the league?" Stacy asked. "And give ma a heart attack? I sure hope so." Juan cracked. They watched Avery's interview and waited for him to grab his things from the locker room.

"Anderson." Juan looked over to see Avery's coach approaching them. "Coach Ben."

Ben Frankenstin was one of those coaches with an elite track record, btu there was something always off about his methods. "Did you know your brother wanted to change his name on his jersey?"

"Nah, I didn't know that. Is that a problem?" Juan wasn't understanding the announcement.

"It's expensive. I just wanted to make sure it could be handled." As of right now, Juan didn't have any endorsements, but he had two very lucrative careers sustaining him and his family. "I think paying in full for the year should let you know that's more than capable of happening."

"So you don't mind paying for all new jerseys with the name change?"

"I'll pay for the new bag, sweats and jackets too. What is he changing it to?"

"He wants his full last name. Toscano-Anderson."

If that's what Avery wanted, that's what he was going to get.