36 x Happy Birthday James

December 28th, a day a true hero was born.

James Richard Allen born of Richard Quincy Allen Sr. and Cynthia Jannelle Allen nee Houghton. James being of Oakland, California received his education from Oakland Technical High School and the University of California, Berkeley. At UCB he received his bachelors in Athletic Training and Business Management. James, known as J, Coach J and Jamie spent most of his professional career as a coach for little league basketball in Oakland. His specialties extending to being a trainer for the Golden State Warriors from 1995-1998 before his efforts focused on the youth. James Allen believed that the children of Oakland would be the ones to change the world, one avenue at a time.

Allen was a lover of all sports but had a special hand in basketball. In his spare time he played golf and wrote poems.

In spring of 2003, James Allen opened Round 1, a gym/recreational center in the heart of Oakland that serviced both the youth and adults. Before his death, his business had been recognized nationwide on news outlets, the National Basketball Association, Women's National Basketball Association, National Football League, Major Baseball League, NCAA and NAACP.

He is proceeded in death by his parents, Richard and Cynthia Allen, grandparents, Ronald and Gail Allen, and Henry and Eleanor Houghton.

He is survived by his beloved daughter, Cynatra Monët Allen, brothers Richard Quincy Allen II, Jeffery Michael Allen, sister Jannelle Cynthia Allen, nephew Jaiden James Allen, niece Richelle Quinn Allen, close family friends Patricia Toscano, and Juan Ronel Toscano-Anderson.

Immediately after Christmas, Cynatra shut herself away. Everyone around her understood how James' birthday would effect her but the amount of emotional turmoil she endured over the last few months, no one could expect anything that would take place.

The employees of Round 1 were working on an event to honor James, it would be taking place the Saturday, January 1st.

But on his birthday, in the next three hours, Cynatra was given a special invite to the Warriors game vs the Lakers. She hadn't given much thought into but she assumed it was in relation to her father and she did not want to go.

December 26th, she slept the day away.

Today, December 27th, she spent most of her day sitting in his favorite chair in the living room.

She was now in a bath drawn by her lover, soaking. They didn't speak most of the day, both understanding that nothing needed to be said. All of their communication came through action.

Juan sat on the floor of her bathroom with his back against the tub. He was in a bad place as well and dreaded that he had to play in the next 24 hours. He didn't have much time to grieve during these last few months. Being overcome with work, and other obligations, he felt the need to always be the strong one. He was a hypocrite, asking Cynatra to be open and free with vulnerability. He did not take that advice. They both couldn't be in shambles.

After her soak, she willed herself to get dressed. Juan took the chance to take a shower. As Cynatra sat in bed, she opened a photo album from her father's childhood. Seeing who he was before he knew her. Juan soon joined her, looking through the pictures laughing.

"Wait, look at this." Juan held a photo album from James' adult years. "That's Kerr"

The photo was labeled Chicago, 1998. James and Steve were standing on the Bulls court.

"I think this was actually the finals."
"Of course he was there. He lived quite the life."

After looking through a few more photos, they laid with each other, deciding to watch a movie.