𝟐 - The Outpost

Chapter 2 Audiobook
♐︎ Sylvaine ♐︎
Under the calm silence of the night, the radiant moonlight illuminates my path as a gentle breeze gently touches me and my fellow pack members. We are currently on a mission to stealthily penetrate a training compound where captured werewolves are being held, destined to be unjustly traded into a life of servitude, otherwise known as slavery. Taking refuge on a decent size hill, securing a vantage point overlooking the outpost. As we gaze upon the stone tower, its presence becomes more palpable, emitting an unsettling aura that sends shivers down my own spine. The ten-foot walls encircle the tower, creating a formidable barrier that separates the outside world from the sinister activities transpiring within. A desolate courtyard lies between the walls and the tower. Built with weathered stone, and its windows, narrow and barred, offer mere glimpses into the darkness that envelops the interior, leaving much to the imagination. The heavy wooden double doors are reinforced with iron.

"Alpha." A low, resonant voice grabs my attention. Drifting my eyes away from the stone walls and iron gate, turning to face my trusted companion. In his late twenties, he stands tall and strong at six feet and three inches. His well-built physique is evidence of his unwavering commitment and rigorous training as my right-hand man. Like the rest of us, he remains completely exposed to the crisp night air, just as his tan sweat-drenched skin shimmers somewhat beautifully in the moonlight. As he catches his breath, his damp hair, tinged with a touch of silver, gets ruffled from trekking back to our current meeting point. His keen and concentrated silver eyes effortlessly mirror the pale moonlight, giving them an almost otherworldly glow. As well as possessing an unwavering loyalty and courage, making him an invaluable member of our pack. He has experienced numerous battles and has consistently proved his worth through our shared challenges.

"According to a recent report from the scouts, approximately forty guards are present in the outpost. Out of these, twenty can be seen in the courtyard, while the remaining ones are stationed within the tower itself." Appreciating his commitment in collecting information about the outpost, as he casually explains the current condition of it, stating that the stone tower seems to be housing a small group of soldiers, which are evident from the guards who are seen patrolling the walls and the occasional signs of activity. The scouts have noticed that the soldiers appear attentive and ready, suggesting that they possess a strong understanding of the possible dangers present beyond the walls. Furthermore, he states that the iron gate is tightly locked, which further strengthens its purpose of discouraging access. There are no signs of weakness or vulnerabilities discovered by the scouts in the gate's design, which means that infiltrating it without sufficient preparation and resources would be challenging. Fortunately, my plan does not center around the gate, but instead it's directed towards the wall.

By taking into account the valuable information provided by him and the scouting team, I analyzed the best approach to overcome the outpost's defenses in order to succeed in our mission. "Thank you, Tego." After pausing to reflect on his words, I confirmed my thoughts by nodding, acknowledging the significance of his input to the mission. Turning my focus to the rest of the pack, their calm and eager anticipation demonstrated their unwavering loyalty and confidence in me as their Alpha. Aware of the immense responsibility on my shoulders, I gathered my composure before addressing them, taking a deep breath to prepare myself.

"Rixa, listen up." My voice steady and strong. "We have just received valuable information about the outpost's defenses. It is clear that this mission will not be an easy one, but I have full confidence in our abilities." Establishing eye contact with every member within the pack, making sure they fully comprehend the seriousness of the situation and the significance of their role in the mission. "We have trained for this, and now it is time to put our skills to the test. We will approach the outpost with caution, utilizing our strengths and exploiting any weaknesses we find." Pausing briefly to let the gravity of my words sink in before continuing. "Delta squad, you handle the guards in the courtyard. Beta squad, you're with me when we take over the tower itself. Stay alert and stay focused. Now let's mov-." Just as I conclude speaking, Savis, one of the fresh recruits, cuts me off. "Forgive me, Alpha, but-."