𝟒 - A Huntress For Hire

Chapter 4 Audiobook
♒︎ Azara ♒︎
With the adrenaline rush surging through my veins, I effortlessly vaulted over a fallen tree blocking my way. The rhythmic thumping of my heart pounds in my chest, harmonizing with the solid thud of my feet landing on the ground below. My eyes transfixed on the captivating trail of deep pink paw prints, as they stretch out ahead, guiding me towards the abandoned farmhouse nestled deep within the enchanting embrace of the Spiro forest. But as I march forward with unwavering determination, my brisk pace suddenly halts. Just a few steps away, a pool of deep-red blood, stains the earth, its vibrant color contrasting against the muted surroundings. The trail of blood, is like a beckoning arrow of fate, tempting me to venture closer within this forsaken house. "Gotcha." Whispering to myself, as the thrill of the excitement propels me onward to the abandoned farmhouse and what hides within its crumbling walls.

With each step drawing closer to the front door, the eerie silence of the decaying structure amplifies the sound of my footsteps, echoing through the desolate surroundings. Pausing, allowing myself a moment to assess the environment, scanning for any potential threats that may lurk within. After assuring myself that the coast is clear, I reach out and grasp the doorknob, my grip cautious and deliberate, careful not to create any unnecessary noise. As the door slowly creaks open, it reveals a dimly lit hallway from the sun's rays that happens to manage to seep through the holes in the roof, the feeble light barely penetrating the gloom. Nevertheless, my eyes quickly adjust to the darkness as I cautiously step inside. In the stillness, my fingertips confidently wrap around the cool silver cord dangling from my hip. Its presence reassuring me as I follow the faint whimpers that are emanating from deep within the depths of the house. The noise instantly ignites a sense of purpose within my heart, a knowing sense that my target is close by, waiting to be found, but not for its best intentions.

Carefully, treading through the hallway, the old floorboards groan beneath my weight, their protests threatening to betray my presence. Holding my breath, I strain my ears, listening intently for any indication that my presence has been detected. Yet, the whimpers persist, their plaintive cries guiding my path. Drawing nearer to the end of the hallway, I steel myself and push open the door to the back room. The dim light casts eerie shadows across the worn walls, revealing a scene of desolation. And there, huddled in the corner, is my long-awaited bounty.

"P-P-Please, just leave me alone!" Within the main chamber, the piercing cries of a male voice rings, saturating the air with unadulterated fear. Guided by the trail of crimson droplets, my steps lead me to the origin of this haunting sound. In the midst of a pool of his own scarlet blood, a wolf pup lies, trembling uncontrollably while delicately tending to the wound on his leg. In my desperate quest to halt the unyielding chase, I was compelled to unsheathe my blade and strike at the young wolf.

Taking a profound breath before releasing it slowly through my lips, all in an effort to cultivate calm amidst the rush of adrenaline coursing through my veins. The pup stands defensively, teeth bared, a clear sign of fear and uncertainty. Yet, my determination remains unshaken as I strive to bridge the gap between us and capture him. Ignoring the intensifying growls, I continue my deliberate approach, each step measured and calculated. Nevertheless, while acknowledging his cautionary actions to maintain distance, I remain resolute in pursuing my purpose without wavering. With each passing second, the distance narrows. The growls grow louder, a desperate attempt at self-protection. But I stand firm, unaffected by his aggressive façade. Deep within those snarls and exposed teeth, I recognize a frightened soul in need of comfort and reassurance. Unfortunately, despite the risks that could come because of this, I press on, urging myself that there is no other choice, but to move forward in my approach to capture my bounty. "Nox, you need to go back to your master. Now, are you going to make this more difficult than it has to be?" Its gleaming strands coiled with anticipation, the silver cord seems to quiver with potential energy, preparing to be wielded with swift precision at the mere flicker of a command.