𝟗 - The Healer

♍︎ Velia ♍︎
Taking a peek up at the hands of the clock, watching it inches closer to noon, my humble shop basks in a tranquil ambiance, its peacefulness undisturbed except for a sparse trickle of customers seeking their customary herbal blends and gentle remedies for minor ailments. With the departure of the last patron, I seize this precious stillness that embraces my surroundings, taking the opportunity to stock my inventory and meticulously arrange the shelves. While busily replenishing the array of ingredients on the shelves, a faint recollection gently tugs at the edges of my thoughts. In an instant, I am whisked away to the days of my youth, where I find solace in the tender sound of my mother's melodic voice, serenading my sister and I with her cherished lullaby. The harmonious tune possesses an enchanting quality, effortlessly washing away all anxieties and apprehensions that once plagued my mind.

Closing my eyes, allowing the memories to unfold before my sight. Could feel the softness of my mother's embrace, her arms enveloping us with warmth and love. The melody, so deeply ingrained in my heart, as it plays softly in the background, a gentle lullaby that serenades the tenderness of that moment. As well as, almost feeling the weight of my sister pushing up against my side, her head resting on my shoulder as we both lean into our mother's comforting presence. The scent of her perfume, a delicate blend of lavender and vanilla, lingers in the air. along with picturing her tender touch, as her fingertips dance through the strands of Azara's hair, infusing each delicate caress with warmth and care. In that very moment, her soothing presence extends beyond, tracing gentle circles on my weary back, as if easing away the knots and tension that has taken residence there. The mere contemplation of this tender scene paints an affectionate smile upon my lips, as it radiates a sense of contentment and joy.

The irony did not escape me though, for the melody narrates the tale of a wolf, a creature that instills within me an intense aversion. To my core, I detest them as nothing more than repugnant creatures, and the notion of anyone advocating for their preservation are utterly perplexing. The methods used in our kingdom to manage their population seems entirely reasonable to me. On the contrast, Azara doesn't harbor a strong dislike towards them, but she does hold comparable viewpoint on the appropriate way to deal with their kind. While I find comfort in the familiar embrace of our home and the solace of helping our mother in the shop, my sister possesses an insatiable thirst for adventure. The contrast between us is undeniable. Days soon turns into years, to which this day is marked by the haunting absence left by our beloved mother's tragic demise. It was a fateful night, as she was making her way back from a friend's gathering when a merciless werewolf, devoid of any remorse, tore her life away in a savage act. The burden of managing the shop fell heavily upon my shoulders, and I have since shouldered this responsibility, and completely dedicated myself to its operation.

As I become entangled within my memories, the relentless passage of time eludes my grasp. It was only when the haunting creak of the door in the distant corner of my shop shatters the silence, causing me to be abruptly yanked back into reality. At once, my entire being coils with tension, my mind racing to comprehend the audacity of the intruder who dares to violate the sanctity of my shop. With a subtle wiggle of my fingers, I felt a mixture of apprehension and readiness, uncertain of what lies ahead. My magic surging within my veins, poised to defend against any potential threat that may arise. "Better have a good reason to break into my shop!" With a firm declaration, my words resonates through the vacant shop, filling the silence. Anxious anticipation kept my heart pounding, urging me to gently prod the door with my foot, preparing to defend myself if the need should arise. However, as the door swings wide, a wave of tranquility crashes down upon my chest, coaxing me to gradually release my vigilant stance. "C-Calix!?.. w-wh-what on e-earth?" Astonished beyond words, standing there in utter disbelief, unable to comprehend the remarkable scene unfolding right in front of my eyes.